Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 944 Rotor for 67-68 911S and 911L

More than Original

944 Rotor for 67-68 911S and 911L

I have decided to get new rotors all around. So which 944 rotors fit the rear, what year/model? A part number would be great! Anyone have them on their car now?

I did a search here and other places but can't find any good info on the machining process, I am guessing the best bet would be to have the machine shop measure my old rotor and match the diameter, thoughts?
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

B D - it has been my experience that the 912 guys have a wealth of knowledge pertaining to the SWB cars. i guess there are more 65-68 912s than 65-68 911s. besides asking on this knowledgeable board i would also post your question on the 912bbs.org. these guys help me out a lot in all things SWB that share common parts like CV axels, susp, etc.
    also, i am willing to bet that parts obsolete, 356shop.com, can answer your questions.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

BD,
    Find anything out about the rear brakes on your SWB? I am getting ready to spend some time on my brakes as well would appreciate any info your can share.
    Thanks
    Gruen

From my memory of the earlier discussion about this awhile back, the rotor to use is from the early 944 (1986 and earlier). Wheel offsets and hubs changed in '87 on the 944 line.

I believe all that has to be done is shaving the diameter down a bit on the rotor. I am going to try this myself when I need new rear rotors on my '67S, so please post your findings.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

More than Original
    So far all I have found is what is in this thread and my other brake thread on this board. I am going to order the 944 rotor (86 and earlier) and go from there. My plan is to get the rotor make sure it looks correct and take the new and old rotor to a machine shop and have them match the diameter.

For those doing new rotors I am putting on ATE Power Discs up front found them for only $58.85 each here: http://www.porsche-parts-direct.com/

search the part #POR054880
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

Quote Originally Posted by B D
    I am going to order the 944 rotor (86 and earlier) and go from there. My plan is to get the rotor make sure it looks correct and take the new and old rotor to a machine shop and have them match the diameter.
    That's just what I would do, I think. I did a search for the old threads also, but I believe they were victims of the hack job on this site awhile back. I was hoping that the member who commented on the 944 rotor would pipe up again. Losing the archives here was a shame.

I would go about it the same way you are I think, but if you aren't in a big hurry, you might post on one of the 944 forums and see if there is anyone doing a brake job who has a worn out rear rotor "take off" they can send you to check dimensions. They aren't that expensive, but it might save you some "buy and return" activity down the line. The main thing to check beside the overall diameter is the "hat" dimensions to verify that they will work with the unique SWB E-brake setup.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

More than Original
    Good idea to get some old rotors first Tom, I am going to try hit up some P-car shops in the area and see if they have any new or old rotors to compare to mine.
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

rotors

Seems like I heard that the 928 rear rotors were very similar to early 67 & 68 S type rear brakes. Might run a check on that.

Michael

Audi 80 and NSU prinz all shared the same pads/rotors in this application, along with the 68 911.

Is this the Audi 80 of the 1990s? They had an ATE "L" caliper? and vented rear rotors? Or were they the solid rotors...???

BD keep us in the loop on this one. I just changed my 68L to Carrera ft. suspention and added Carrera calipers and rotors, I am looking for options on the rear though. Since the Carrera Hat will not fit the E brake assembly, the 944 may be an option (and still use the wide L ). Now to find an adaptor to fit an M caliper on the rear. Anyone seen this done?

Cheers,
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown