Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice on a 1971 911T targa

advice on a 1971 911T targa

I am a regular to the Pelican boards but this is my first post here. I have always wanted an early 911 targa and am now in a position to buy one as a second 'fun' car. I would like to have that was in decent shape at the right price, possible to get in better condition (with money and time), and most importantly in good mechanical and structural shape.

I have found a 1971 911T targa for sale that appeared to meet the requirements and had a good local mechanic do a PPI (car is 7 hours away). The PPI came back saying there is minor rust around the targa band (very repairable), transmission is poor (leaking, needs new 1st and 2nd synchros), poor paint (poor preparation before painting, painted over bumper seals and chrome) and multiple other deficiencies (license plate light, almost all the seals need replacing, horn non-operable, targa headliner and top need replacement, chrome pitted, etc.). As well, the car has a cheap aftermarket front bumper, wrong mirrors, grills and rockers. But remember, I'm not looking for a concours car and most of these things I can fix myself (seals, horn, lights, possibly transmission).

The owner has had the car 10 years (no engine work done at all in this time) and he originally wanted $8400US. Any thoughts one what is a fair price on this car?

All comments welcome!

If that car is here in Centerville, OH I looked at it and wasnt that impressed. Its pretty worn out. Body seemed fairly solid, but I didnt get underneath too much.
    Hard to say a value with the way prices have been lately though.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

It is that car. I haven't seen it personally, but the mechanic (Ken Farler) said the same thing. Does that mean that the paint is worn out? Is everything misaligned?

I know it is missing most of the seals (I have some extra at home) and there are a lot of miscellanous things that are wrong as stated above. But a strong engine and a decent base (no rust, good dash, good targa band) is a really good start, n'est pas?

I'd appreciate your eyes and ears as you have seen the car.

It was nearly a year ago that I looked at the car. As I recall it was just shabby....panel alignment and paint were pretty weak. The car will need a full resto eventually, but is a 20 ft car for now. As long as it has been for sale, the owner is probably pretty negotiable.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

There may be cheap porsches but no inexpensive porsches. pass on this heap and but a nice one unless you like to do resto work.
    Phil

That actually sounds like not a bad car, and a good price. You have to remember what it is that you want. Don't get too concerened about the little stuff. Afterall these cars are OLD. They all need something. You have to be careful not to get caught up in the million dollar resto. You said you were looking for a driver. If you like this one it sounds a pretty good deal.
    Tom

Any other suggestions from owners?

I don't necessarily need perfect (or great) paint. Can the panels be adjusted with spacers?

Any comments from experienced owners about the condition of the transmission? If I replace the transmission seals and top up the fluid, will that result in improved shifting? How difficult is it to get the transmission out to replace the synchros/dog teeth? how much do the parts cost?

I know the targa top is an expensive repair, but I don't plan on using the top often. Any idea on the price for new headlinerand targa skin (parts only!)

In terms of the suspension, what should I look for to see if it is in good shape? (no comments in the PPI and I have never driven a car with a poor suspension)

As you can tell by the many many questions, I need advice...Thanks!

Look at and DRIVE more cars. A money pit can turn a passion in to a very unpleasant nightmare. You can dump money in it and be in over your head quickly and then it is even more unpleasant when you try and sell a bad car that you are up-side-down in. This niche in the vintage car hobby is made up of very knowledgable folks. Read and listen to thier advice! Every item you have mentioned is expensive to address properly. I am in the camp that appreciates spending a little extra up front to get those rare "way above average" cars. I promise you it's smarter and cheaper to learn from others mistakes. Do a little math on this one then look at and drive a car that is a little nicer and priced a little higher. You will see why. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather be driving it than working on it all the time. Good luck and be patient, there are some great cars still floating around at reasonable prices despite the frenzy.

Daron

Alright maybe I was a little harsh the first time. Best to find car that has been properly taken car of. It is obvious when someone really cares for their car, this one has not been well loved. My original point is buying a cheap porsche can be very expensive to own so you want to be careful. The price is not that bad and is probably pretty flexible. You can still find nice straight cars for a decent price but you have to move very fast on the purchase which is probably not smart unless you are very knowledgable about 911's. You can also spend tons on money flying around looking at misrepresented cars. Caveat Emptor!
    Phil

No Rush

Don't hurry into something that you may later regret. One of my cars was a 69T that I bought thinking I would restore it and ended up finding way too much rust/rot about half way through the project. I put about $12K into it and later sold it for $4500, not a good experience! Try to hold out for something a little nicer, there are plenty of cars out there. For example this car looks like a better candidate than the one you're getting worked up over, so take your time and you will find yourself better off. My 2 cents.
    Andy Baugh
    RGruppe #48