Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North meets North R-Gruppe?

Cool North meets North R-Gruppe?

Now that we have done Monterey a few times for the annual R-Gruppe meet, I think we should adhere to our orignal idea that North meets South half way between the two regions, like Cambria or San Luis or Buttonwillow/Bakersfield or some mountian town location like some small mining town in the Sierra's in mid summer. Anything different. I am done with Monterey for now. Chris 70S R-Gruppe #144 /Early S reg

The roads to Markleeville are pretty cool.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

If it is the annual meet and N is meeting S then you guys have missed the mark by a few miles with Monterey.

Long drive from Seattle to Monterey.

Correct me if I'm wrong....

but I think that the original idea behind the title was more focused b'tween the bay area and So. Cal. ...or maybe that's just the way I perceived it...?

Absolutely no offense or disrespect to our Pac-Wet chapter brothers intended !!!!

cheers !!!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

None taken
    I'd rather be driving in southern Cal myself today.

Gburner
    Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2
    Now that we have done Monterey a few times for the annual R-Gruppe meet, I think we should adhere to our orignal idea that North meets South half way between the two regions, like Buttonwillow/Bakersfield. Anything different. I am done with Monterey for now. Chris 70S R-Gruppe #144 /Early S reg
    Hi Chris,

Last weekend a few R Gruppe members particapated in the PCA TT at Buttonwillow raceway. The track like Laguan Seca has a huge pit area that would provide plenty of room for ducks in a row pictures, car displays and socializing. If this R Gruppe weekend could have track access through some other group during, before or after the weekend count me in.

Local backroads that wander towards the coast could provide for Cambria type street cruises.

Your Golden Gate PCA holds TT events at this location too so it should be in range for the bay area. It is almost 5 hours from my house in San Diego.

Other than the track the city of Buttonwillow has very little shopping to offer for the wives. It has one very good Mexican place and a Steak house. The steak house has a nice private room with big screen and bar where Saturday evening in car camera tapes could be roasted.
    Hotel rates range between $35 and $50 a night.

It would be an inexpensive weekend spent both at a very fun track and exploring winding empty two lane highways.

If you are interested in seat time and driving fast safely that would be the place to meet. Suggest early fall for best climate conditions.

If a weekend (with track time) is considered I would be thrilled to help organize it.

Regards,
    Mike

RGruppe new venue

I can get behind a change of venue as well. California has wonderful places to play (I haven't a wife so shopping is not a priority for me) and furthermore the RGruppe Porsche blender needs a relaxed atomsphere in which to perform long and loud!!!
    Ed Barnett
    RGruppe #124
    Northern California Racing Club
    American Racing Club
    Member, Northwest Hillclimb Association

Some track time would be great. Give us more to talk about while kicking tires.

While track time was not one of the original goals of R Gruppe when it was founded in 1999, it is the ultimate confirmation of all the mods that we put into our R Gruppe cars, and it is much safer than testing these out on the street.

You do not have to look hard to see "Steve McQueen attitude" in many R Gruppe track junkies.

Another vote for a track day in conjunction with the 7th Annual North Meets South Gathering, wherever it may be. I'll be there regardless..
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Thumbs up right on R.W. !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by a911s
    While track time was not one of the original goals of R Gruppe when it was founded in 1999, it is the ultimate confirmation of all the mods that we put into our R Gruppe cars, and it is much safer than testing these out on the street.

You do not have to look hard to see "Steve McQueen attitude" in many R Gruppe track junkies.

Another vote for a track day in conjunction with the 7th Annual North Meets South Gathering, wherever it may be. I'll be there regardless..
    Randy,
    Extremely well said....and may I add, my exact personal perspective and feelings as well....man!!.. you got a way with words!!!

I too wish to fully acknowledge that RGruppe has never been and will never be a Track oriented club, just as Randy pointed out. That's not it's purpose or goal. Sure there are some members who have developed quite the taste for driving their RGruppe cars at speed there as opposed to the street, but that's nothing more than personal choice...not any movement to change the doctrine of the club or anything else.

But for those who have never tried it and those who only have memories of doing it years ago, coming on out to an optional "no pressure" day at the track turning laps with some real good buddies will leave you with a smile that goes ear to ear...like this: And if you're faster you can pass the guy ahead of you in a designated passing zone (usually the straights) without crossing any double yellow lines

And talk about building camaradarie..... looking back it's hard for me to count how many times I've pulled off after a session and and gotten out of my car helmet & gloves still on, and other drivers coming up all giving hi- fives and hugs - helmets banging together...'cos we're on such a natural "high" after mixing it up out there.... what a rush !!!

Anyway...that's my .02.....I know...pretty predictable !!!!!

In any case, It's all good !!!!!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335