Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kermit triumphant at Taj AutoX

Kermit triumphant at Taj AutoX

Ok, so after guilt, abuse and beatings, Larry finally broke down and agreed to try Kermit out on the course with fellow Auto-X virgins Jerod (JCR) and myself. Well, long story short, by the end of the day he had the best times out of all three of us! On his last run he actually spun the car through the final gate and crossed the finish line backwards, still finishing faster than my best time!

I was miserable, having a terrible time even following the course. My first three runs all ended in me losing track in the sea of cones. Fellow Midwest R Gruppe member Joe Batista finally rode shotgun with me and offered me some advice and slowed me down so that I could figure ouyt the course. Youthful enthusiasim got the best of me.

Anyway, way to go Larry!!!!

Pic later after everytihing is over
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

This is great! I love it when old age & treachery beats youth & skill. Way to go, Larry!
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Dave, you've never Autocrossed? As one PCA instructor remarked to me at a track day, "Autocrossing is its own form or torture." But it can be a blast, less involved than a track day, except for the fact that you have to "work" at some point. Its a great way to learn car control at a safe speed, and its really exciting when you post an impressive time, even though its in a parking lot. I love autoxing my Alfa, I just drive it sideways around the whole course. That's probably be a little more difficult when I get my 911 out there.
    Zach Mayne
    1969 911T, 1988 924S, 1985 635CSi, some Alfas and a Fiat....

You mean Jared actually took his car out and drove it? Pics are definitely needed. Way to go Larry. Driven em is what its all about, even if they smoke ;(
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    I watched Kermit's spin and ass-end finish from the starting line... cheering him on the whole way! Here's a couple shots, I'm sure Dave got some great action shots with the Nikon - can't wait for those! Thanks for coaxing me to run... what a blast!!! Also thanks to Richard and Joe for the tips and showing everyone these small displacement early cars can more than hold their own with the big boys on racing slicks!!

BTW... Dave's being modest... his heel and toe-ing was PERSONALLY approved by none other than Vic Elford!! He also said that riding in "Olivia" really "took him back" to the old days. COOL!!!
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Jared,

Good to see the cars out and about. I also really like the exhaust on the white car.

If anyone caught Larry crossing the finish line backwards, well that might be one for the hall of fame. Glad you all enjoyed your weekend.
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)

Glad to see you mid-westerners having fun with the cars. Jared, any first impressions of Auto-X?
    Just out of curiousity, how did the STI's that I see in the background go around that track? They must be great for such an event.
    Tom
    Early 911S Reg #544

It was simply AWESOME to have all you guys in town !!!!!!!!!!!

I also witnessed the spin and very dramatic finish-line crossing !! I would have liked to capture the announcer's (I think it was Carston at the time) voice while calling it over the PA it was pretty hilarious !!! A real attention grabber !!

Here's a photo of a runner-up for best finish !! (I hope this posts OK)

(edit) I tried to attach a photo, but it's not letting me...

How did Larry get his helmit on over his hat Good to see you be "the man" Larry! Drivin it the way it was designed to be...A$$ first!

Just jokin, The family and I are going to be flyin in to CHI town July and then drivin downstate for some R&R with my family. Maybe we'll get a chance to meet.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan
    How did Larry get his helmit on over his hat Good to see you be "the man" Larry! Drivin it the way it was designed to be...A$$ first!

Just jokin, The family and I are going to be flyin in to CHI town July and then drivin downstate for some R&R with my family. Maybe we'll get a chance to meet.
    Michael:

It was hard to get the helmet on my head, but it wasn't because of the hat I was wearing . . . . . . .

Anyway, my appreciation to everyone that went and made it prolly one of the most fun "guy" weekends that I have ever had. Here are some pix of the AutoX. And, yes, Kermit really made me proud!!!
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC