Thread: Converting "old school" prepped race cars to Hans Device equipment??

Converting "old school" prepped race cars to Hans Device equipment??

Looking for advice from the group regarding saftey equipment updates. My 911 ST replica has been restored over the years maintaining its "old school" feel, while still making some concessions to modern equipment. For example, I have a full fire system installed, roll bar, big brakes and new 6 point harness. Additionally, I went to great trouble to source and install a pair of 935 racing seats many years ago - along with factory RS lightweight mounts.

I am due for a new helmet, and the local supplier suggested I get a Hans prepped version. However, they went on to say that I would have to use Hans specific harness( my Schroth 6 points were brand new last year), and that I would NOT be able to use the 935 seats.

On one hand the car is soon to become a dedicated race car, but on the other - all the Hans updates will cost plenty and the car will loose some of its character in the process.

So:

Hans Helmet
    Hans Belts - Schroth or Willans?
    Hans seats - is recaro the only vendor currently using the GT3 version?

Looking for your thoughts on this. Thank you.

- Jim

James,

Having had a crash (front end into a wall) at NHIS in April, while wearing a HANS, I would not go on the track again without one. It was reassuring to feel those straps snap tight when I hit. My neck felt perfectly normal the next day. Save your 935 seat for German Car Day at the MoT.

Tom
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Hmmm. . . who is your supplier?

I have never heard that anything other than the helmet needs to be specific to the HANS device, and even that can be modified from an existing helmet by installing the anchors.

http://hansdevice.com/s.nl/sc.1/188
    '66 911 #304056
    '71 911E H-Stock Club Racer

Well perhaps there is alot of marketing hype out there....however Schroth lists specific Hans harness( that apparently is a different design then their regular 6 point that I already bought). Recaro also lists a specific Hans seat for the newer Cup/GT3 cars.

Still confused by choices, but it is clear that Hans or something similiar has undisbuted benefits.

-Jim

Jim, I'm going to check with my HANS guru, Bob at Stable Energies, and see what he thinks.

Here is the marketing language for the ReCaro HANS:

RECARO pro racer SPG- HANS®: Seat made of glass fiber reinforced plastic GRP. Optimum interplay between HANS® system, harness, helmet and racing shell, in order for the HANS® system to achieve its full potential. Standard features: optimized shells geometry the extensive head guard provides extra protection in an accident or extreme road bends shock-absorbing foam for increased safety special belt guides for HANS®-system friction grip surface in the shoulder and seat area full ergonomic support in the lumbar zone belt guides for a 4-, 5- or 6-point belt
    '66 911 #304056
    '71 911E H-Stock Club Racer

Jim:

I am a Schroth distributor and might be able to help.

If you send me pics of your seats, I can tell you if they will work with the HANS system.

Last year, Schroth introduced the Hybrid line of race harnesses specifically made for HANS. These have two main features that separate them from the Profi-III's you have now.

1) The upper part of the shoulder straps are 2" in width to permit them to stay on the HANS without slipping off.

2) The shoulder straps are sewn onto the lap belts where they join the cam lock release. This makes absolutely certain that everything is connected at the same time.

Your Profi-III's will work, they just are not as secure as the specifically-made Hybrid's and its imperative with HANS that you are strapped securely and properly into the car. The HANS system is not forgiving in this regard.

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to call me. Safety is my main priority.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Thanks for the replies guys.....looking forward to figuring this out. Here is a picture of the 935 seat.

- Jim

Jim:

Update!

As of today, you can convert your new 6pt Schroths for HANS by buying the special shoulder belts (non-ASM) instead of the whole shebang. They are making them available separately.

I think your 935 seat will work as long as the harnesses and HANS setup is installed and adjusted correctly. The HANS-specific Recaro would be better in case, God-forbid, you need it.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com