Thread: Are there different leather steering wheels?

Are there different leather steering wheels?

I know that there are 380 mm 914 leather-wrapped steering wheels and 400 mm 911 wheels. (I'm just talking about original factory equipment.) My question is whether there is variation among the 400 mm wheels. I have a leather wrapped wheel with an early 68 date code. The rim feels thinner, and the spokes seem to be glossier, than I remember on the last one I owned, which was from 72. Can anyone tell me whether I'm imagining the difference? Thank you in advance. Tom
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Tom,
    This not a direct answer to your question, I know, but I have seen a few early wheels that have TWO leather skins, one on top of the other.
    I am sure that this was done by someone, "back in the day" to serve the dual purpose of refurbishment and creating a thicker grip diameter...
    Maybe you have looked at this area closely, or perhaps not???
    Bill Conway, Early S Registry member #254
    1970 S, 2.2L Silvermetallic Coupe
    1973 T, 3.2L Black Carrera Targa
    1969 T, 2.4L Silvermetallic Targa

Not your imagination,,,,They're are variations in thickness's to the touch... Although they are supposed to be all the same.... Probably a case of across the scale, max.-min. manufacturing tolarances.

Regards, Robert...

Similar Threads

1. Restoring vintage leather steering wheels
    By denson in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-01-2014, 03:40 PM
  2. 1965 Steering Wheels - Wood, Bakelite, Leather?
    By VA_alfa in forum General Info
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-20-2013, 02:07 AM
  3. FS - some early/pre-'74 leather steering wheels
    By haycait911 in forum For Sale: 911 Parts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2011, 09:21 PM
  4. Leather Wrapped Steering Wheels
    By Bullethead in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-11-2010, 09:18 AM
  5. Momo Leather Steering wheels,headlights