Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: P.O.C. @ Streets of Willow 6/25-6/26

Thanks Chuck
    If we hadn't had the longer than necessary pit stop (mechanical issues) we would have been really dicing it out with the front runners. Some terrific competition there
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

Quote Originally Posted by SandyI
    ".....I do have to say it's a source of constant personal disappointment that we have virtually no early 911S registry presence at any of the So Cal POC STS events. Doesn't anyone want to run their car fast on the track? Is everyone so concerned with their resale value now that a rock chip will end their world? .......... But then you look at how few people even viewed my original thread versus the number of people who view the threads dedicated to the "park and show off your detailed car" thread...
    .....you'll get used to it.

Just for the record...last Sept I ran POC/STS ccw, no bowl and my best was 1:16.07 but that time sucks for my class (v2)

Glad you had a great time !!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    [QUOTE=RSupdateJust for the record...last Sept I ran POC/STS ccw, no bowl and my best was 1:16.07 but that time sucks for my class (v2) [/QUOTE]

I remember looking at your car and thinking about how cool it would be to have that kind of power in my car...
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Wow, I had no idea you knew my car! heck ya shoulda come up & introduced yourself....unless you did & I forgot... and I appologise if that is the case.

I need to get back out on streets, since last time I was there I have had much more aggresive cams installed and the car has lost a touch more weight.

I'll be down at the Dana Pt "car show" on the 10th...not so much to do the "show-off my car" thing as much as to hang out wit da boyz. I'm sure there will be a crowd of horrified people gathered around the front of my car stunned to see me brazenly coming out in public with all the rock chips all over my front bumper and lower portion of my front deck lid. The horror of it.
    Johnny Riz
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Quote Originally Posted by SandyI

I do have to say it's a source of constant personal disappointment that we have virtually no early 911S registry presence at any of the So Cal POC STS events. Doesn't anyone want to run their car fast on the track? Is everyone so concerned with their resale value now that a rock chip will end their world? They had more $5 million cars racing on the track in one day at the Laguna Seca Ferrari 250 GTO tribute then we've had in the last two years at Streets. But then you look at how few people even viewed my original thread versus the number of people who view the threads dedicated to the "park and show off your detailed car" thread...
    That rant doesn't sound like you. But, to address your question, I have run my car at the track and have plans for more. I built the car with the track in mind. But let me tell you, rock chips aside, the track is hard on the car and the wallet. Not everyone who knows how to handle a 911 well, and does now and then, needs to flog it at the track. Only two outings at Big Willow have shown their wear signs on my car. It needed some sorting, so track time is good to help that process along. But, at cost.

I see it this way: Say a motor lasts 10 years with some serious caravaning and fun runs as well as some commute time. Add some significant track time and I'd venture the figure goes down to 3. Not for all, just an on a guess for an overall average. Then there's the 'I need that' syndrome. More oil and a lot of tires by comparison, too. Don't be too quick to criticize those who choose not to do a lot of track events. It may not have anything to do with increasing value of the cars. Also, I can't think of a track other than Ca Speedway that is anything less than hostile AFA environment goes, either. I don't have a motorhome to sit in when it's 100* with 20mph winds.

I've been racing since I was 14, first and mostly in karts. I have been to many, many tracks and races. At age 60, I choose my recreation carefully now with my comfort and entertainment as priorities. Too serious of a weekend racer will ruin my program as fast as anything I can think of. I've paid my dues and I will look for some respect as a casual racer now, or I'm out the gate and headed home. That's the 2nd point, not all of us have anything to proove.

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    First off, yes, I was in a crabby mood when I wrote that.

Second, I didn't mean to piss off anyone. Especially someone whose opinion I've enjoyed reading like yours, Zeke. And actually, that rant had nothing to do with you because I know you take your car to the track. And no, you have nothing to prove in my eyes.

I'd just like to see more of the early 911S group at the POC short track series because, frankly, it's a lot of fun. I worry because so much of this board's discussion has turned to car values and much less about driving. More cars ending up in warehouses. More cars collecting dust. It was great to know the Midwest guys put their cars through that auto-x at the Taj cruise event.

I'm hoping to see one new person from this board, just one, taking a chance, putting their car on the track for the first time, and having the time of his or her life.

Anyways, I hope to see you out at Willow Springs some time. Maybe I'll play hooky from work on a Wednesday and learn some more tips from Jack. And you. Or you should come play with the POC Short Track Series. We'll find someone's easy-up to hang under as the temps soar past 100 degrees.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Sandy,
    I'm going to let you in on a little secret. It's called the PCA San Diego Region Time Trial series. We have been running about 6 TT's a year with 2 or 3 DE's thrown in. We just did Buttonwillow the first weekend in June and there were 60 cars there. SIXTY!!!!!!!!! We had 11 thirty minute sessions plus timed runs.

We did Streets in January and had about 60 cars. Again, it was as much track time as 2 or 3 POC STS weekends combined. And we aren't cramming 25-30 cars onto the track at once. There are 4-7 early 911's, mainly RS clones running with this group. I can only speak for myself, but MOST of us have done POC events before too. We choose to run these PCA events instead. WAY more track time, WAY less tude walking around the pits too.

This is not your fathers PCA or other regions. The San Diego Region is hardcore about racing and getting as much track time as possible, but way more laid back off the track. NOt laid back where safety is concerned though.

Try one of these events and see the difference in crowding. It's refreshing. We'll be at Spring Mountain in November. Great track. We don't just run the same damn track every single event, and guess what.... we run the bowl at Streets 4 or 5 times now with ZERO incidents.

Our events are about $275 per weekend which is more than POC.... but it keeps attendance down and track time up. It's worth every penny IMHO.

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Racea911--
    Those PCA TT's sound great. My problem is my car has no roll bar or five point harnesses. The five point can be installed using a track bar. But I've resisted the full roll bar because my car is my daily driver, and if I install it, my kids won't be able to use the rear seats. Is there any way I can run the PCA TT with just five-point harnesses but no roll bar?
    Thanks.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Depends on what class you run. As long as your car isn't in the Modified or Improved classes I don't beleive you need a cage. As a matter of fact it may not be required even in the Modified or Improved class either. But 5 points and an Extinquisher are. Take a look here www.pcasdr.org for more info and rules. Come on out!

PCA-SDR TT driver here as well......

I keep tellin myself I'm gonna do the POC events....and then sheet happens... and I'm out at another PCA TT .....
    Johnny Riz
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335