Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: P.O.C. @ Streets of Willow 6/25-6/26

Gburner
    Another Long hood SD/PCA TT racer here too.
    Come on down for the Qualcomm stadium Sunday DE next month.
    I think the safety requirments are relaxed at the QDE events.
    Perhaps your POC experiance will be enough to qualify you for a QDE.
    Email the AX chairs (not the DE/TT chairs) on the SDPCA site as they actually are the ones that determine the safety requirements for all events at Qualcomm stadium.
    Beat the summer desert heat just race at the beach!

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    You San Diego guys have me SOLD! If I combo the POC and the PCA days, I may just get enough seat time to actually get good. Thanks.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Quote Originally Posted by SandyI
    Racea911--
    Those PCA TT's sound great. My problem is my car has no roll bar or five point harnesses. The five point can be installed using a track bar. But I've resisted the full roll bar because my car is my daily driver, and if I install it, my kids won't be able to use the rear seats. Is there any way I can run the PCA TT with just five-point harnesses but no roll bar?
    Sandy- I am another Early S track junkie checking in on this thread. While I used to run with POC and am still a member, I have chosen to cut back my track days in the last few years for financial reasons and concentrate my resources now on local SDR, SCCA and PCA Zone 8 events. I am the Tech Inspection Chair this year for the PCA-SDR local events at Qualcomm, I can assure you that if your car is a mostly-stock '69E coupe (as I believe it is?), you do NOT need a roll bar or cage to participate in the DEs or TTs with SDR. You can check the rules at this link if you have the Acrobat reader installed on your computer. If you don't have Acrobat, then you can download a MS Word file of all the rules at this link.

If you have a minimum of 4 documented STS events with POC, you should be able to be admitted as a student/novice to our PCA-SDR DE/TT series. You will need to put in 4 days on track in the next year with an instructor and you can be signed off for a Zone 8 TT Competition Permit (less if you have more experience than the minimum.) If you have a POC TT or Club Racing license, you would qualify for the Zone 8 TT permit immediately.

Your car would still need 5 or 6-point restraints and a fire ext. installed. Proper anchors with a harness bar would be adequate. Long sleeve non-synthetic shirt and long pants are adequate in less than Improved class, where the higher requirements of the roll bar and fire suit begin. I'm pretty sure your car would run in F-Stock or F-Prepared class unless it is more modified than I think it is. Send me your mods by email and I will tell you where it would be classed.

The weekend of Aug. 13th-14th is another of the PCA-SDR Autox/DE combo events, where you can enter both for $100 and get more seat time than you will believe. It is the best bang for the buck around. Come on down!

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Quote Originally Posted by ttweed

If you have a minimum of 4 documented STS events with POC, you should be able to be admitted as a student/novice to our PCA-SDR DE/TT series. You will need to put in 4 days on track in the next year with an instructor and you can be signed off for a Zone 8 TT Competition Permit (less if you have more experience than the minimum.) If you have a POC TT or Club Racing license, you would qualify for the Zone 8 TT permit immediately.

TT
    This is starting to sound very interesting to me as well. Ceartainly the weather in SD has got to be better than Rosamond on any given day. But, I'm confused by the quoted statement. Just where does one BEGIN with SDR-PCA? What's the first step in PCA to qualify for the novice/student status? By the way it sounds, a novice/student is a beginner. Yet, you say 4 POC events are needed beforehand (that is if one is bringing outside credentials to the event, I understand that part). But, if one doesn't have POC experience.................????

Gburner
    Hey Zeke perhaps your wheel to wheel karting and Porsche big track days experience (and other track events I am not aware of) will weigh in too. Maybe Tom can answer that?

Maybe this will answer some questions for 1st time track drivers...
    Non PCA driving experiance has been considered in the past, more so at the Q as it is not a high speed track.

http://www.pcasdr.org/drivered/Regio...es20502rev.doc

II ENTRANT QUALIFICATIONS

A) There will be three basic groups of drivers – Novice, Experienced and Instructors.
    B) To be considered "Experienced" and allowed to participate without an instructor, an entrant must have a current PCA Zone 8 Competition Permit. Please see the current Zone 8 rules for details on qualifying to obtain a permit. Other driving credentials may be recognized as qualifying the holder to obtain a current PCA Zone 8 Competition Permit.
    C) Novice Drivers Education participants shall meet these minimum qualifications:
    1. 4 PCA autocrosses (or equivalent)
    2. A 2-day performance driving school & 2 autocrosses
    D) Novice drivers may be able to use participation in Drivers Education events to qualify for a Zone 8 Competition Permit on a day for day basis.

A small group of us will be getting together the night before to enjoy a nice meal and good times. Give us a heads up if you are coming down and we'll try to hook up.

Same goes for anyone else considering a visit to Qualcomm for the August AX/DE weekend combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke
    What's the first step in PCA to qualify for the novice/student status?
    Milt-
    Mike posted the relevant part of the rules (see part D. above.) The autox program is the starting point for PCA-SDR, or the Performance Driving School, which is given twice a year, Spring and Fall. With 4 autox events completed, you can move up to DE/TT as a novice. The PDS counts as two autocrosses.

With 4 DEs or TTs or STS or even autox events with other orgs you could talk your way into our DEs. With your years of racing experience, all it would require is a check-out ride with one of our instructors to make sure you were in control of your car while running a good, consistent pace in it, had good "situational awareness," and knew what the flags meant and obeyed the passing rules, and they would probably sign off your license after one session. I know when I went to the POC STS the first time and showed them my Zone 8 TT license, Rick White just said he would keep an eye on me all day and if I didn't screw up too badly, he would sign me off. The same sort of thing would happen at PCA-SDR if you came to our DE with an STS license. There is some reciprocity between the clubs in recognizing equivalent experience.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Quote Originally Posted by ttweed
    ......With 4 autox events completed, you can move up to DE/TT as a novice.....
    I remember those days.... I also remember several times getting out of a certian '67 911S as a student.....feeling queasy as all heck...!!!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Gburner
    Quote Originally Posted by RSupdate
    I remember those days.... I also remember several times getting out of a certian '67 911S as a student.....feeling queasy as all heck...!!!
    Yeah but Wichman's narrow body vintage racer turned you a stronger shade of green.

Quote Originally Posted by Gburner
    Yeah but Wichman's narrow body vintage racer turned you a stronger shade of green.
    you're right....uugghhh.....I felt like this...
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Thanks, both Mike and Tom, for the clarification. Others reading these posts might have benefitted from the discussion as well. I apologize if I appeared lazy as I know all of this info is available on the various club websites. But, it good to see the explanation right here on this thread if anyone is tempted to start driving their car fast in a controlled environment instead of on the public roads. I'm not a big fan of canyon driving, but I've done a few runs just to go out with the others. I, too, recommend track events for speed.

However, it looks like I have to do some unexpected engine work which may throw off my track schedule yet another few weeks, or more, depending on funds. You see, I found I have NO compression on no. 6 and a very oily looking plug. I have been driving the car pretty hard knowing this and I think I'm pushing my luck. So, the motor is coming out real soon.