Thread: ALERT!! New Ebay Scam!

ALERT!! New Ebay Scam!

To my friends on the board. Watch out for 2nd chance offers from ebay. They could be a scam. I almost got taken. Be careful.
    Tom

Porsche - There Is No Substitute 2POINT7's Avatar
    I participate in another forum of Mercedes Pagoda enthusiasts and the same topic prompted a fairly extensive thread on this same subject. Beware!

http://sl113.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3522
    Ed Cave
    Atlanta, GA

Member No. 738

1958 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupe
    1998 Porsche Carrera S
    2008 Porsche Carrera S (her dd)
    2013 Audi A7 (my dd)

More details please...you mean it's like an offer from who you think is ebay, but is a scammer asking you to bid on an item again?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

No. You bid on something, but lose. Someone then emails you saying they have the same thing and want to know if you want to buy it. I have bought things this way in the past with fine resutls, but won't again considering the rise in this kind of fraud. Off of Ebay, you ahve little recourse.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

This has been going on for several months, if not longer. You bid on an item, someone else wins it and you get an email from eBay (not really from eBay of course) saying you have a second chance to buy the item. Most second chance offers are scams though there is such a thing as a legitimate second chance offer. Be highly suspicious of any email saying it's from eBay, they don't send out that many emails, probably for this reason. You now see many sellers keeping the bidders identity secret, this is often done to protect bidders from getting these fraudulent emails. If you get one, be suspicious, email the original lister of the item and you'll probably find they have no idea what you are talking about. At that point, copy the header of the email and forward it along with the email to spoof@ebay.com
    One more thing I just thought of.. I realized I had not been receiving notification from eBay when I bid on someting. Usually they send you an email confirming your bid. I checked into my user information and someone had changed my email. It was going to some hotmail address and I never knew it. I changed it back but now I'm going to check more regularly.
    If you use eBay, you need to stay on your toes, there's lots of people thinking of ways to defraud you.
    Bruce Herrmann
    '73 911S

This scam is as Bruce described. You receive a note from EBAY on a second chance to bid on an item that you had previously lost. I even got a verification letter from ebay saying it was insured.
    Now this is different from an email from a private party offering a similar item. I've had this also and it has always worked out fine.
    Tom