Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: car is here, bunch of questions

car is here, bunch of questions

I just took delivery of my 1969 911 S yesterday, bought the car from list member, Mike Kieley, wonderful, super clean car, 67,000 orig miles, ozzi blue.

Mike just had the heads redone and chain tensioners, among other things, and told me his mechanical guru in canada always used dino oil, 20w50....I've started using mobil 1 in my other old cars, and wonder if folks have had numerous oil leaks with mobil 1.

Mike also liked NOT running the cold start circuit on the car, he had the valve disconnected, telling me it loads the engine up with a lot of extra fuel.....my feeling is that the factory knew what they were doing, if the cold start valve is there, it should probably be hooked up....thoughts???

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I dig in deeper.

I'll be bringing the car to the p-car parade in hershey in a few weeks.

-Lewis
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Still my all time favorite...69S with as few options as possible. The purer the better.

I have had three...probably never sell my current car which is the 20th built and the 10th production car and the first delivered to the North American Market.

The only way I would ever sell is if I can talk Chad (Steve's) son out of his dad's 1970 Le Mans Movie Car.

You are going to have so much fun but fix the cold-start valve and relay system. It is the only proper way to start the car from cold. It does not load up the plugs.

Warm regards and good luck!

Bill Noon

Congrats! Cold start systems were disabled on some of these cars due to them being a fire hazard. IIRC, '69 had the CS injectors in the airbox. I would not hook it back up.
    #711 - expires 12/05
    1972 911T - Sepia 3.2 - For Sale

Smile

The PO of my 71S had the cold start valve disabled for the same reason. I have no problem with starting her, even though she sits for longer than I want her to. In other words, she's a Garage Queen, unfortunately.
    71S Targa
    03 996 Cab
    05 prius daily driver

My '70T had a stupnagel cold start system when new...tubes in the air filter housing with a hole drilled in each one designed to squirt down into the carb throats...3 drilled holes on each side. Yep, I enjoyed the experience of a fire in the engine compartment. If your '69 S has a similar system above the MFI stacks? Damned right I'd vote to unhook it. The cold start system in my '72 squirts the fuel down lower. That '72 system, I'd suggest keeping. I'm not sure about '69. Pull your air cleaner housing...if there are two tubes with holes in them running through it? Don't hook 'em up! It hurts to see your Porsche burn. I was lucky when it happened to my old 911T. It happened in front of a friend's house. He was a quick thinker...got a blanket, hosed it down, then tossed it over the flaming carb (right side only) and melting air cleaner housing. Snuffed it out without damage to the car other than the engine.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

McQeens car was a 69, not a 70, like I have been saying for over a decade and no one believed it until Chad showed up with it. Forget about the 2.2 sticker in the back window. I used to argue with Gary Emory about the car, he serviced the car at Iverson and his brother painted the car twice in the seventies, he would scream "Its a 69". He was right.

"I have had three...probably never sell my current car which is the 20th built and the 10th production car and the first delivered to the North American Market."

This is an interesting statement Bill, obviously you could tell it was the tenth car via the production number, but what proof do you have of it being the first USA market car produced. I am alway curious where people get this information that no one else can seem to find and no one can prove.

Jeff

PS: Have you sent your boy Elliot to ground school on Porsche, I trried to give him a free session but I think it was like drinking out of a fire hose. They should have sent you instead, O well he made the sale.

1969 911S Ossiblau - look anything like this one?

Nice car
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Reg #675

I can't imagine a car more similar

a perfect match

Yes, I need fog lights.....anyone have hella 169's for under $600?????

-Lewis
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Lewis, your car is stunning!
    Jim Richards
    Aubergine 1973 911E Sunroof Coupe w/ 2.7RS MFI
    Early 911S Registry Member #589
    GruppeB #911

nice

Never heard of that color, very cool!!

Is that your daughter sitting on the curb?

Quote Originally Posted by 911s911rs
    1969 911S Ossiblau - look anything like this one?

Nice car