Thread: Fuel vapor smell...???

Unhappy Fuel vapor smell...???

OK, during a spin in my 68 today, there was an overwhelming smell of gasoline when the windows were open. I first (fire extingusher in hand) checked the engine bay, but no leaks or smell. No smell anywhere when it was parked and no smell with the windows up either. No dripping and all the lines are dry...so what could it be?

gas cap?
    some vent line in the luggage compartment??
    other???
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

It's not only you, Michael. I do have the same exact experience every single time I take her out or just to start her in the garage. Got me thinking to practice fire drill with the f.e. by the passenger's seat just in case. I'm no expert so let's see what the fellas will say on this one.
    Cheers!
    71S Targa
    03 996 Cab
    05 prius daily driver

With mine Conrad, there is no smell at a stand still... still, could be related though.

I just removed my filler cap, removed the cork seal, added some 3M weatherstrip seal, flipped the seal and reinstalled. Will see what that does. I know on my 356 when the cork seal goes bad on the filler, I get fumes. Got me thinking. I will update. In the meanwhile, any more ideas
    Michael

"roll up the windows and hold your nose!"

My 356 used to stink up the entire garage with the smell of fuel, until I replaced the vented gas cap with a non-vented one. While driving, however, the smell of fuel is still quite noticeable in the cabin, and even my clothes pick up the smell

I've noticed while driving the turbo, and sitting at let's say a light, there's a noticeable fuel smell that creeps into the cabin. However, it seems to disapate once underway again.

I can't comment on the T's smell, as I've just acquired it recently and I haven't really spent much time behind the wheel yet.

Do you experience the same fuel aroma with your '67?
    All the best...

Frank

'64 356 C Coupe - restored signal red driver
    '72 911 T Coupe - 140K mile bahia red driver
    '87 930 Coupe - 31K mile original black beast ***FOR SALE***

Well, Michael since I'm a newbie and wrench wanabe on this cars, I'll follow your lead. Thanks for the tip and will wait for others with ideas. BTW, Congrats on getting your car on the road again. She's gorgeous!
    Cheers!
    71S Targa
    03 996 Cab
    05 prius daily driver

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by 87-930-palmbeac
    My 356 used to stink up the entire garage with the smell of fuel, until I replaced the vented gas cap with a non-vented one. While driving, however, the smell of fuel is still quite noticeable in the cabin, and even my clothes pick up the smell

Do you experience the same fuel aroma with your '67?
    No, the smell is only evident while driving at anything faster than a crawl. When in the garage, stopped at lights etc...no smell at all. If my entire garage smelled, I would be fixing something REAL fast! As far as your 930, I have never smelled any fuel vapor of any sort in my 89 Carrera...you may want to find out what is causing that as well. Possibly your fuel cap as well???

I the mean while, I will know if my little "fix" rectifyed the problem in the am when I bring the car back to the shop for some final paint work. I hope it is just the cap though...

Thanks Conrad, Im pretty excited about having her on the road again. Even more so on Tue. when she is permanently back...I will post more photos of the completed project on my other thread here
    Michael

Michael..start with the easiest stuff first, but I'd suggest checking ALL the lines that exit the tank...vent and fuel feed lines both. One may have been damaged or loosened during the "crunch"...if so, the same insurance bill should cover it if the later damage is discovered soon enough. (edit) One tip if your doing it youself: Should you find yourself rehooking a plastic vent line? Dip it's end in a cup of boiling water for a minute or two before plugging it on the fitting. This softens the plastic, makes it easier to put on, plus helps it seal better when you tighten the clamp. Damn, your car is LOOKIN' GOOD!
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Besides PWDs recommendation of checking and tightening all fuel line fittings, a common culprit is the infamous fuel vapor expansion black box right behind the oil pressure guage. (Access to it is from the trunk area) You will see fuel lines entering and exiting it and often the plastic cracks with age or one of the intake, or exit lines gets crushed due to overzealous tightening of the bango clips and creates a gap. That is where I found my problem. The black box is held in place by a large black rubber band. Good luck
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Yeah, Rick...that's where my past fuel smells came from. I'm not sure the '68 models had the "evap" system though...that may have started in '69?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

vent box in LWB cars...

That is my thought as well, I will check it though when I see the car on Monday...or look thru the factory manuels. Although some of the smell was hindered by resealing the gas cap, all was not gone. Somewhere in the vent system the problem does exsist.
    Michael