Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best soource for 70 S carpeting?

Best soource for 70 S carpeting?

My carpet is a bit threadbare and Im looking for a nice w-e project. Where can I get accurate grey carpet for my 70 911 S?
    TIA,
    Dave
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Carpet

Just ordered drivers mat for my 1970E myself, I was told the std. german velour is in route and should arrive Port of LA within 2 weeks, they do have a backlog of orders, but they have good reputation for quality/delivery and pricing.

http://www.autosintl.com/
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Dave, These guys have a pretty good reputation too:
    http://www.worlduph.com/porsche4.htm

I have been thinking about doing my car too and hoping to get it done before Hershey Parade. Well, I messed around too long to have any resonable amout of time to complete the job. I found a shop that does custom auto interiors and for $100 they are going to replace the only bad piece I have (where the dead pedel is located). They had several carpet vendors and we matched the style and color very close. I think I'll be happy. If not, I'll dye the whole interior to match.

BTW, the price of Sliverknit is breathtaking compared to domestic cut pile so be sure that is what you have now and want. As a matter of fact, I think Sliverknit was introduced well after our cars were made.
    Hal Michael
    2008 Audi RS4
    2006 Porsche Cayman S
    1970 911 Targa 2.7 (sold)

Dave:

If you want original, it'll cost ya. I know that the carpeting for my car cost me $450, but I wanted the German Velour. I had talked to Autos Intl, but bought my carpeting at Original Fit Interiors. It was significantly less expensive ($100 - $150 was significant enough), and the quality of the carpeting was the same. Mike was pleased with the carpeting as well -- (what do I know??) It looks good.

Their number is 541-459-1700 - they are based on Oregon.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Carpet

Just to let you know Autos Int'l charged me $120 just for the drivers mat so that original german velour is expensive.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

The 321 - German Velour that everyone is using seems to me to be darker then the original. The velour in my 70S seems to be a dark grey even in the areas that never saw direct sunlight. The new carpet that I have waiting seems much closer to black.

Also if you order from Autos do not throw out your old pieces as you will need the snaps and stiffening pieces from the tunnel cover.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

I realize that this thread concerns the correct carpet, but has anyone put squareweave in a 69-73? That stuff is gorgeous.

Carpet

I agree the sample that Autos sent of the Velour 321-Char. does appear to have a bit more black than the originals that are still in my car. The Perlon coloring is more grey, need to blend the 2 together to make it right! Does anyone do it closer? This material is coming from D.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Well guys I have been down this path recently when I was changing the carpet for my RS #101 indeed the carpet readily available as German Velour is definately more black than grey but still looks good in my opinion if you are not obsessed like me.

I eventually sourced some carpet from Mark Waring in the UK which is more the correct colour but the silver knit is way too long. I created considerable mirth amongst those who know me when I gave the carpet a haircut with hair clippers set on #1 and it is so close to the original look and pile depth that I am very happy with the result.

I couldn't get Mark to supply carpet only as this would have made it much easier but someone, somewhere, maybe Nick Moss, must know where he is buying it from.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Here is a pic I just found. Remeber most original carpet has faded considerably and looks darker in most cars than it really was. The best place to get the correct colour I have found is under the rubber gear stick cover on a 73 as it has about a 1" coverage of the carpet or if you have removed all the carpet you can see the original look inside the footwell pockets.

Here is a pic of the new carpet installed
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6