Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Dusters...?

Car Dusters...?

Been getting kinda irritated lately... after I wash my 911, seems in only a couple hours no matter where I go, and how nice the weather is I always manage to get that layer of dust on my car.

Does anyone here use those "car dusters"....and if so which brand do you recommend?

Thanks !!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Car Dusters

Although I do not use one , I have seen them advertised on the Performance Products catalogue , they use his own brand . Also at any Auto Store they will have the original "California Duster". Personally I prefer the "Absorber" the package came with 4 or 5 Towels to clean your car on the spot with no water. According to the envelope this towels are being used in Auto Shows and in Concourse (Urban Legend or Fact I do not know, but works for me).

Best Luck .
    Joe 912
    '68, 912
    Mexico
    Early 911S Registry # 1918

Love em...

Johnny,

I have one in every car. Got mine from Griots and have been very happy with it. That along with some speed shine to clean off the bugs and all keeps your ride in tip top condition in between washings.

Cheers,
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Yep, what he said...

can't remember if I got mine from Griots, but it works great on the dust.

I have a bali blue 356 and it is a magnet for dust. Follow up with a speedshine as well.

Great info guys ! thanks.

btw...do you ever clean the duster? if so what do you use?
    Johnny Riz
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

I have never cleaned mine...they say the "dirtier it gets the better it works" It has never scratched my paint and always works wonders. Better yet, saw a guy in Monteray with a 250 SWB Ferarri using one...nuf said!

I trust Griots customer service and buy all my car cleaning products from them as they back them for life and are always willing to give out friendly detailing advice. Great place to visit when in Tacoma/Seattle area as well!

Cheers,
    Michael

Michael, I heard they are actually coated with parafin wax...? true?
    Johnny Riz
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

yessir...that is true
    Michael

Porsche - There Is No Substitute 2POINT7's Avatar
    I've heard or read a couple of times that wiping your television screen with the duster ocassionally will 'recharge' it with the static it needs to be most effective in removing dust from your car.

Sounds reasonable, can anyone confirm this rejuvination technique?
    Ed Cave
    Atlanta, GA

Member No. 738

1958 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupe
    1998 Porsche Carrera S
    2008 Porsche Carrera S (her dd)
    2013 Audi A7 (my dd)

Quote Originally Posted by 2POINT7
    I've heard or read a couple of times that wiping your television screen with the duster ocassionally will 'recharge' it with the static it needs to be most effective in removing dust from your car.

Sounds reasonable, can anyone confirm this rejuvination technique?
    That might work temporarily. It's the parafin that collects the dust. Similar to the stuff the janitor uses on his dry mop. Static will not hurt, but it's lack of presence is not the end of the efficiency, IMHO.

No matter how you look at it, you are dragging dust around on paint. But, with a light pressure, working from center to out and shaking the duster frequently, you minimize micro damage. Once the car gets a little soil from the air, the duster is much less effective. However, if you are going to use a spray bottle detail cleaner, better get the dust you can off first.

Many show cars are never washed, but they don't sit out or drive to get the oily soil I'm refering to. They do use a system of dusting and detail spray, especially in museums and the like. A periodic waxing fills in the micro scratches.

Of course I don't do any of this on the Ragamuffin, but I try to keep the Boxster looking fairly nice. So, I do use the Calif Duster, Maguires Detail spray and Maguires Gold Coat clearcoat wax on the paint. There's other stuff for the top, which I try not to get wet, ever. If I want to wash the top once or twice a year, I use the special shampoo and rinse with distilled water and then towel dry with a microfiber towel. Then it's put a way to dry thoroughly before any operation. I guess I digressed here.

I wash the car as necessary to remove the crap that comes off the road, trucks and other cars starting at the lids and working down, different mitts or sponges for each area, especially the wheels.