Thread: Best Headlamp Replacement

Question Best Headlamp Replacement

Have us spec 1970 with sealed beams, don't want to move away from originality but Hella sealed beams are long gone, so what are people doing? I see sylvania has the H6024ST sealed beam halogen, silverstar 55/60w anyone try/recommend these? Seems like the most light in sealed beam that I could find for direct replacement.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

If I were you, I'd try and find a set of H1's, a hell of a lot more expensive, but worth every penny, both for the amount of light they provide, but more so for their looks.

They pop up on eBay once in a while, if fact there's a pair right now

Not mine...
    Henry

Replacement headlamps

Henry

thanks for the heads up, my confusion is the H1's shown on ebay have the cover, was this not what was used in ROW cars? My original owners manual page 79 shows the headlamp replacement procedure and clearly shows a sealed beam with no additional cover in the trim ring. This would not follow originality.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boxster03
    I see sylvania has the H6024ST sealed beam halogen, silverstar 55/60w anyone try/recommend these? Seems like the most light in sealed beam that I could find for direct replacement.
    Disclosure: a family friend is a Sylvania manager.

But, have you considered some of the 7" H4 replacements for sealed beams? I think there's a Hella available from the usual suspects, there's also CIBIE (try http://www.talbotco.com/).

I put Hellas in my 911 and CIBIEs in my 356. Both of those have the old covered headlights, so I was able to maintain the original look and get modern light.

Putting in some relays is an excellent idea, espacially if you want to try 100 Watt high beams.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

My original owners manual page 79 shows the headlamp replacement procedure and clearly shows a sealed beam with no additional cover in the trim ring. This would not follow originality.
    Well, it would go against originality for a US car. If you're concerned about keeping it 100% as it was delivered, you are correct. European cars however, came with H1's as standard equipment from '67 (or earlier), so they would be correct for a European car, but not for a US car.

If I'm wrong someone please correct me soon!

Here's a nice example of an H1 car (not mine unfortunately ) This is a 68 I believe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Henry

Light replacement

I went a head and purchased the sylvanias, they are a huge improvement over the who knows how old of ge beams that were in there, the specs on this lamp are not bad at all. You bump up the watts to 55/60 vs the 35/55, they are much more white than std. halogens. (4000) so I guess to sacrafice a bit to keep 100% original is ok, we have to have some US spec. cars left for concours

Thanks all

Forgot, need to get new seals too
    Early 911S Registry #750
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

When I bought my car, it came with Carellos. It seems these same units came on Ferrari Dino's... and they want over $600 each for them new today. I'm starting to wonder if my car was originally delivered to Italy, since the left door jamb ID plate is different - the one with the paint code number. My plate does not have the chassis number - seems to me there was an earlier thread on this topic here.
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914