Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many annual miles do you drive your early car?

How many annual miles do you drive your early car?

This might be more relevant in light of the ongoing conversations about Insurance, Classic Cars, and use.

There are people like Paul Donkin that only drive less than 1,000 miles annually, but my guess is that most people drive their cars more than that. Since Kermit is my first (and only) Porsche, I am driving him a LOT more than that - heading towards 5,000 miles this year.

How many miles do you put on your car annually? If you have more than one car, please list the miles that you put on your "most used" early car. I know that there are some with Garage Queens and Kings, and that would skew the report.

thanks

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Just short of 40k miles since 12/00. And that's with about 9 months total off the road at various times for body/suspension/motor projects. I'll add another 600 or so with the trip to Hershey this weekend (it's 3rd trip to Hershey).
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

~13,000 miles since about 1986....

Hmmmm, that would be 650/year on average...ouch!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I drive my 68 the most...about 2-3K/year last year. Although she only shows just over 60K on the clock, so the previous years another car was driven the most...
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Larry, I'll answer your email here. Yeah, I drive the car "not much" each year. And you drive around 5,000. But one thing to consider. You're still on your 911 honeymoon. I've been a member of PCA since 1967. In other words, been there done that...a LOT, with the driving of Porsches I had earlier. And I did it before the traffic problems of today, back when driving was more enjoyable. Hell, I went through a 7 year period where a Porsche was my ONLY car. So now, I use the Porsche only for special times...like the Emory campout swap meet this coming weekend. For most driving, I actually prefer the anyonomus aspects of a Ford Ranger. It's not like I'm dying to be noticed in a Porsche by people I don't know...And the Ranger is hardly a sacrifice. It's 4.0 V-6 offers adequate power, it's got automatic, air, cruise, a multi speaker stereo, power steering & brakes, and I've beefed it's suspension a bit. Well, okay, more than a bit...enough to surprise the Ricer kids now & then. In other words, this '99 Ranger offers the "luxury" of a higher end car without attracting the attention. Most of the time, that's what I want. Check back with me after you've owned a Porsche for nearly 40 years, okay?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Quote Originally Posted by pwd72s
    Larry . . . . Check back with me after you've owned a Porsche for nearly 40 years, okay?
    Paul:

Let's see, in 40 years, Kermit will be 72, and I'll be 97. I hope that when 2045 rolls around, I am still on this blue and green planet, standing on my own two feet with a valid driver's license. Then, we'll talk.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

I have owned my car since 77, used it as a daily driver in the summer only until 1980, 20,460 miles since then.

<i>For most driving, I actually prefer the anyonomus aspects of a Ford Ranger.</i>

There's something oddly satisfying about this. The last few weeks I've been driving one of my company trucks instead of the M3 (or the 911!). Anyonmity has its benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer
    Anyonmity has its benefits.
    Curt,

There is nothing anonymous about a Fire Engine Red interior with houndstooth seats. Having recently seen it in person, I really like it, but it sure ain't anonymous.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Not to mention a Jade ..... er, Viper Green car!