Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to wire a Blaupunkt in a 1969 911S

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

How to wire a Blaupunkt in a 1969 911S

I plan to put a new Blaupunkt radio in my 1969 911S. Besides the speaker wires, there is a black wire, a green wire, and a wire that is yellow with red stripes. Can anyone tell me what each wire is for, whether I need a seperate amplfier, and where in my car the speaker is located (its not in the dash)? Thanks.

don

*sigh*

I know I should drive by this traffic accident but I can not help myself!

First off - is this an older radio??

Ok, the BLACK wire is classically GROUND

One of the other wires is a POWER wire....

The remaining wire was probably an auxillary part of some sort- possibly a power antenna???

There should also be a heavy antenna "wire" in the car that will plug into the radio.

If the speaker location is not obvious - then the car may have never had any?
    Otherwise they were removed maybe w/ or w/out the speaker wires.

Speaker locations if not in the dash - in the doors or rear shelf.

You should just decide where you want speakers and route wires from there to the radio.

Remember some of the older radios were designed for TWO speakers and not FOUR which will become a minor issue when installing.

You really do not need an amp - depends on the purpose of this install - looks or heavy duty rockin' out.

No offense but based on your question I would seek help locally from someone familiar with these installs.

To do it right you want to route the wires very nicely and also solder and heat shrink connections etc.... and if that is greek to you then return to the above sentence.

speaker wires

blaupunks typically used small connectors that were flush with the back of the radio (no pigtails or wires hanging out the back of the radio), they were square, maybe 1/2" each, and the car side had a round pin and a flat pin, the radio side obviously had the female connectors, one orund one flat.

I do have at least a pair of the male connectors if your radio came without these.

-Lewis
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Do not do it yourself
    Do not cut holes in your door pockets
    Get professional help - and that does not mean Home Depot
    Do not cut holes in your rear deck
    Do not cut holes

Seriously.

Run some wires to the back of the car and put some small boxes on the rear seats - without cutting any holes in anything. Or get a professional to install some small boxes under your dash, again without cutting any holes.

If your 1969 S is like my 1969 S you will not be able to hear the damn thing anyway, so consider dropping the whole project.
    Early S Reg #675

Don't cut holes. Seriously. Radios in these cars are marginal at best and only make sense if you are sitting in traffic. On the other hand, if you need to buy a radio call me! I've got 2 Beckers wasting away in boxes. A Grand Prix and a Europa.

I would love for both of my cars to have NOT come with radios from the factory but they did. It's not all bad but you absolutely cannot hear a mono radio with Webers playing at full song and the stereo wouldn't be that much better.
    Now, on the other hand, the Suburban Urban Assault Vehicle: It's GOT RADIO.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

In order to preserve the historical and esthetic integrity of my 73's, I built a lift out box that sits on the rear seat shelf when the back seat backs are down. The integrated unit has a tuner/cd player, 2 speakers, powered antenna in the box, and two head phone jacks. I covered it with an almost exact copy grey felt from the local stereo shop and change settings using a IR remote mounted between the seats.
    It's connected to the car using a standard blaupunkt jack that provides power and ground. During normal operation it functions as a modern stereo, although I am having a bit of bother with the CD skipping. When I want 'original' look, I take the box out and tuck the power lead under the back seat cover. The original radio is still in the dash but only serves as a non functioning reminder of the early 70's. I had thought about building in a 12 volt battery back up to hold up the radio station settings when I take the box out of the car, but there is a limit.

The Capitalist Roader
    3 nearly identical silver S trim 73's

Outstanding idea. An original 70's Ghetto Blaster done to Teutonic Specification!

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Tom,

Actually my first thought was to modify a boom box for 12 volt operation. But no one could agree that the CD would funcrtion in an automobile without skipping.

John

An original 70's Ghetto Blaster done to Teutonic Specification!
    I can think of at least two Germans who would cringe at putting that in their car... They would probably describe it as "Turkish" and suggest you modify a 1992 BMW and leave the Porsche alone.
    Early S Reg #675

Quote Originally Posted by caproader
    Tom,
    Actually my first thought was to modify a boom box for 12 volt operation. But no one could agree that the CD would funcrtion in an automobile without skipping. John
    Funny thing is that all of the 4WD trucks I've owned never miss a beat on the roughest (farm) roads. The high tech stuff l've had would occasionally skip but still they were very good. Perhaps more isolation via a piece of heavy dense cell foam rubber would help. Most industrial supply houses have such stuff on rolls. Sutton and Clark here in Richmond is a wonderful place to find unusual rubber stock.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111