Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do I have 2 Mirrors?

Question Why do I have 2 Mirrors?

my original 70E has 2 durant mirrors, would the cars ever have come from the factory with mirrors on both doors (one on passenger door seems pretty useless unless used by rally navigator)
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

There were some markets that required outside mirrors on both sides. I am not sure about 1970, but I have seen several '73 911s that were delivered with 2 round mirrors. Probably some previous owner decided to do it and now you are stuck with it or filling the holes and repainting the door.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

my car is US spec and COA ( I know can be spotty at best) does not list it, just wondered if it came from factory that way or dealer installed at time of purchase?

anyone know what Dr. Porsche (I mean Johnson) says about mirrors?
    Early 911S Registry #750
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

One way to tell if the round mirrors came on the car originally is to check the convexity of the mirrors. The passenger side mirror (I think) is more convex than the driver's side.

I'll look at B.J.'s book this evening about this.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

will have to look closely again at the mirrors to check for difference, interested to hear what Doc Johnson wrote

thanks
    Early 911S Registry #750
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

many items were installed by the dealers such as mirrors, radios, antennas, fender well deco and the big one was air conditioning. even though the people installing these things had printed instructions as to how and where to drill the holes many times people just did it the way they thought it would work the best, my 67S was picked up at the factory and the original owner was given a choice as to where they could mount the Talbot mirrors either on the doors or out on the fenders, he went for the fenders as it was easier for him to see the mirrors, when I restored the car I moved the mirrors to the doors (as I don't like the look with the mirrors out on the fenders)anyway when I mounted the passenger side mirror I mounted it in the same place as the drivers side mirror was and I now know that was a mistake, the mirror access holes on the passenger side door are for a right-hand drive car not for a passenger side mirror on a left-hand drive car, so at this point it looks pretty from the outside but from the drivers seat you don't even know it's there.
    Sam

Self anointed Head of the SSSP
    ( Super secret seat police )
    our motto is : if you've got a bug up your ass, we put it there

67S polo red 307958S (gone but not forgotten )
    87 factory turbolook Lagoon green metallic ( G50 O'yeah )

I have a copy of the Porsche factory "Accessory" book, dated Sep 1965. It lists all kinds of mirror options.
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

so it was very possible to order a car with 2 mirrors from factory.

thanks

love to see that ref. manual
    Early 911S Registry #750
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Talbots

Would Talbots on a 72 on both sides be considered acceptible as I have two I can mount in the existing holes.They are high quality but would like some input.Thanks TFM
    Member:S Registry #864

Here is the section from B.J.'s book talking about outside mirrors.

"The optional outside rear-view mirror was mounted on the driver's door. The standard mirror used from 1965 to 1967 was the same Durant mirror used on the 356C. From 1968 through 1971, a slightly larger Durant mirror, also round, was fitted. The base was identical, and the seal between the mirror and the body was the same as the earlier version. In 1971, it could be fitted with a convex mirror."

"A Talbot mirror was offered from 1965 through 1968. Both right and left mirrors are listed in the accessories catalogs, along with the text stating that they were not installed at the factory, but for $13.40 (1965 price) they were a bargain. In 1968 the left side Talbot mirror is noted as being illegal in the US and Germany, due to its small size."

For 1972 and 1973, a rectangular mirror was fitted on the driver's side door. It, like the Durant, had a brushed metal finish. The 1968-1971 Durant mirror is also illustrated in the 1972 parts manual. It was available with with either flat or convex mirror. From the description in the parts manual it is unclear if it was fitted only in Sweden or if it could be obtained as optional equipment in other venues."
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299