Thread: Gregg's 73 S

Gregg's 73 S

Have we talked about this one? I recall the 'Brumos/Gregg' silver 73 for sale recently, but not this one.

http://www.johnstarkeycars.com/pages...e/73_911S.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  

carduner

It's An Andrew Carduner Car!! Boy That's Special

It was also owned by an "Orthodontist from Jacksonville". Nonetheless, a cool car. But when he says it's rarer than a "$240,000+ RS Lightweight", I'm afraid to see the asking price .....

It 's a neat car,and I would own it at a price,but do not expect an help from Bromos in reseaching the car.Peter Gregg ordered and sold lots of cars from Bromos,So every car sold out of Bromos prior to PETER'SPeter death was a Peter Gregg CAR.BY THE WAY ANDREW CARDUNER WAS THE SON OF THE OWNER OF GERRARD.buy the car not the hype!!

Reference ONLY . . .

VIN = 9113300666

The account from the John Starkey website . . .

. . . I was inspecting a Porsche 935 racecar when I "found" this intriguing RSR for the street . . .

. . . Whilst I was looking at the 935 (a sexy beast!) way back in the woods around Jacksonville, I became aware of the rear of this little bumpered 911 sticking out from where it was parked, nose into a corner, next to the 935. There was a "Carrera" badge on the engine cover and larger than standard wheels and wheel arches.

I asked the owner about the car and he recounted a story I had not heard before. He told me of how in 1973, Peter Gregg, then America’s most successful Porsche race driver and the owner of Brumos Porsche, plus Audi in Jacksonville, had built up several RS specification street 911s for his best customers.

This 1973 911S, chassis number 911 330 0666, was one of these "special" RS/RSRs. From correspondence and with talking to other owners of these "special" 911s, which include a hotted-up "T" model, I believe that there were between six and eleven of these cars built, all different to one another, and all with varying options. This one appears to be the most extreme built, with more factory options than any of the others I have encountered.

Gregg bought this 911 straight from the factory as a rolling chassis – that is, without engine or gearbox but with full leather interior and an electric sunroof, plus air conditioning. Peter Gregg had also ordered 911S/T fender flares (no "production" 911 was ever ordered with these special 911S/T flares in period) and European Cibie quartz-iodine headlamps in place of the American DOT approved headlamps, especially for his Brumos team sponsor, Andrew Carduner.

Carduner was Chairman of Garrard turntables in 1973 and you can see "Garrard" on the front spoiler of the Porsche RSRs that Gregg raced with total dominance in IMSA and Trans Am during the 1972 to 1975 seasons. Carduner was Brumos’ main racing sponsor at this time. I have spoken with Andrew Carduner and he confirmed owning this very special 911.

It is important to realize that Porsche 911 RS 2.7 Carreras could not be brought into America in 1973, due to the strict emission controls. Building up a "special" 911RSR was Peter Gregg’s way of giving his very special customers the opportunity to own such a beast but with even more luxury options than were to be found on a "Touring" 911 RS 2.7 Carrera of the period.

On further investigation, I found that European parking and tail lamp lenses were also fitted to this car. Inside the cockpit, there was a racing 10,000 rpm tachometer, a 150 mph speedometer and a 914/6 GT steering wheel was installed. This is definitely no ordinary 911S!

Beneath the extended wheel arches, this 911 also has 8 inches wide front and 9 inches wide rear Fuchs alloy wheels. The wheel arches are big enough to house the 9 inch wide fronts and 11 inch wide rears that adorned a 1973 RSR. As a side note, I recently took a close look at the Peter Gregg/Hurley Haywood driven 1973 2.8 RSR, with which they and the car’s owner, Dr. Helmick, won the 1973 Sebring 12 Hour race. Both cars are light yellow and are virtually indistinguishable from one another at first glance. The only difference would appear to be that the RSR is slightly lower and has the characteristic racing fuel filler in the center of the RSR’s front hood, plus the even wider wheels. Incidentally, one of Brumos’ mechanics later told me that the rear window of this 911 was fitted to the Sebring winner during the race, as the RSR’s own rear screen was blown out when the windshield broke during the race. The Brumos mechanics promptly ‘robbed’ the Carduner car of its rear screen as they did not have a spare with them! After the race was over, they refitted the screen back to Carduner’s "street" RSR.

Peter Gregg had his engine builder, Jim Wright, equip this 911S with a special RS style 2.9-liter engine, on mechanical injection and with full air conditioning. Having driven this 911 a few times, I can tell you that it is quick.

Paul Willerson worked in Brumos’ race department in 1973 and remembered the 911RSR Special with affection. "At that time, our dyno had broken, so Jim Wright was never able to measure the power of that 2.9 engine but it was very powerful – around 250 horsepower." And: "I remember that the transmission had a competition oil pump, but no cooler. It had a limited slip differential, short cover housing, 11/35 first gear and Recaro seats." The same transmission, with its competition oil pump, is still in the car and the Recaro seats have been refitted. When finished, the car cost over $20,000. Equivalent today to over $100,000!

After Carduner’s stint, it was traded back to Brumos, there to be bought by Mike Colucci, a Brumos race mechanic, who today heads his own racing team, MCR and who has a history of being one of the top crew chiefs in American Motor Sport.

Mike started his career with Brumos as one of Peter Gregg’s race mechanics in 1974. He told me that the 911 was: "Very fast – I went with Peter to St. Augustine once and he was then in a new (1976) Porsche Turbo. He was pissed that I could keep up with him in this car on the freeway. I guess the top speed was over 150 mph!"

Mike Colucci owned the car from 1976 to about 1978. In that year he sold it to a physically large doctor, an Orthodontist from around the Jacksonville area, whose name he cannot now remember. Mike modified the seat runners for such a large man by welding square section braces between the seat runners on the floor, under the driver’s seat (the braces are still there) and installed seats from a 1974 Carrera but he believes that the doctor drove it very little. Certainly, that would seem to be born out by the fact that the car today has only just under 50,000 miles on it.

After the doctor, a young man called Mason Wilkinson, Jr. bought the car and kept it for several years before selling it to the previous owner (who has hardly used it at all) in around 1990. In fact, it effectively went into storage then until I "discovered" it.

I have now spoken with two of the guys who worked on the car and they remember it well and are VERY enthusiastic about it! I've bought it after four owners and 40,000 plus miles. It has never left Jacksonville until now.

In the front compartment is a spare "space saver" tire and tools, plus one of those odd charcoal canisters to absorb exhaust gases for emission purposes.

The car has had two color changes. First of all, when new, in Carduner’s ownership, it was Ferrari fly yellow. Mason Wilkinson Jr. had it painted red. After this Bill Ferran had it painted white. I’ve had a full back to bare metal respray done in the original fly yellow color, with all the mechanical parts gone through at the same time. The engine has had a complete disassembly and rebuild. The rear anti sway bar has been replaced (it was missing) and the alternator rebuilt. The fuel tank has been replaced due to age (there was rust in it) and there are some $27,000 in recent bills. The original type Recaro seats have been found and fitted in the car. A new headliner and carpets have completed the restoration.

It’s difficult to try and sum up this car. Effectively, it’s a detuned 2.8 RSR Carrera but with wider wheels and tires under the S/T flares, with all the luxury options that one could have at the time, such as electric sunroof, air conditioning, adjustable sway bars etc.

What makes it so individual is that it was built by America’s most famous Porsche 911 GT racer of the period, with all those special goodies. Additionally, apart from the color changes, it is in remarkably original condition.

Today, 1973 Porsche RS 2.7 Tourings sell for upwards of $150,000, with lightweights costing $240,000 plus. This 911S is much rarer than either of these famous Porsches, with performance to match a Lightweight. In body shape, it closely resembles a 1973 2.8 RSR (these are now half a million dollars). It also has a most interesting history allied to the most famous names in American Porsche 911 racing, Peter Gregg and Brumos Porsche . . .

(Not mine)

We Can Be Heroes

..I enjoyed that read....the story seems interesting, but Im surprised it is being shown w/ those seats....

Nord Stern Region of PCA....west coast side of Region
    panel fit could be better , the left and right front fenders look slightly different, oh my, where else can we go here ....... 4 ! suits of clothes in this mileage ? good grief, what does that all hide ?

pretty color, nice flaring , low miles, these are positives. Not in a correct price range for an also ran, even if Gregg had his hand on it.
    marketing
    Best Regards,
    mrgreenjeans
    member # 1503

-'68 -912 Red
    -'74 -914-2.0 litre - Sunflower
    -'82/83 -944 -M404 - Guards Red
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Guards Red -Weissach Prep. -H52
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Zermatt Silver
    -'84 -944 -M404 - Sunroof Delete - Ruby Red
    -'85.2 - 944 -M456 -Zermatt / Sport Purposes
    -'86 -944 -R74 Spt.Touring Pkg - White/Burgandy
    -'88 -944 - Jubilee Ltd. Ed. -Satin Black Met/Grey Plaid
    -'88 -911 - Tourist Delivery -Venetian Blue
    -'89 -944 Turbo M030 - Satin Black Met.

Hi guys,

we have owned this car for the last 6 years. It is in Australia. My father is considering selling - much to my disappointment!

My father used the car initially to do Route 66 in the USA, and then shipped it back, where it has competed in track events (called Regularity), not actual door to door racing. Think of it as a target sprint!

See pics below.

It is as everyone has said a special car, and I have done the research and got the paperwork that backs the story from John Starkey up.

I have an email from Hurley Haywood confirming they sold it to Andrew Carduner of Garrard Records who were Brumos's major sponsor at the time.

If anyone is interested in the car, let me know. As it is more than likely coming up for sale in the coming months.

As I said, it is located now in Australia.

Cheers,

Alex
    Alex Webster

1967 911S Sunroof - RHD
    1969 911E - LHD - Historic Racecar
    1975 911 Carrera 2.7 MFI - RHD - Historic Racecar

My historic racing videos - www.youtube.com/aewebster