Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vasek Polak Frame

I smell a business opportuntiy JC! Let's do all the famous 70's dealers, start a website, open a PayPal account and go! The 1000% profit margin has me interested .....

need a Manchester Porsche of Manchester NH if you make them up Went out of business early 1990s, where my car came from.

should be at least $200 not the cache of historical racing dealership for $400 but at least no copyright problems
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer

I really wonder if this eBay frame was a repop????? Take a look at this frame and the 'checkerboard' appearance of the chrome on either side of the lettering along the bottom of both plates. Hmmmmm .... this U of T frame is currently available and the company does all sorts of custom stuff.
    Curt,

FWIW, Over the weekend I saw several, original VP frames on black plate, California 356s at the Dana Point Concour and they all had the 'checkerboard' stamping like the frame on eBay.

As a matter of fact here is one that I am saving for the RS that I picked up that has never been mounted on car. Looks identical to the ones I saw at Dana Point.

Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

So how would one tell an original from a repop? They look identical. In fact, it's probably the same stamping equipment and maybe the same company that produced them way back when that could repop them today for $10? A risky eBay purchase at $400+ with no documentation.

Curt,

I agree it would be very hard to tell if you were buying one that you couldn't hold in your hand and/or know it's history. The one pictured above came someone that had bought parts from VP for many years and had gathered a number of frames over the years. The frame is made from fairly thick metal and doesn't twist easily in your hands. I assume the repros would be much more flimsy but maybe not.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Latest for sale

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
    So I wonder if there's a market for repop vintage license plate frames? This type of frame can be purchased for under $10 each including setup fees. Licensing / copyrights may be a problem ...... but are they for defunct businesses?

I really wonder if this eBay frame was a repop????? Take a look at this frame and the 'checkerboard' appearance of the chrome on either side of the lettering along the bottom of both plates. Hmmmmm .... this U of T frame is currently available and the company does all sorts of custom stuff.
    Company's been around for a while. I have a similar U of Georgia license plate frame on my DD that I bought at least 10 years ago (and will refrain from comment on the Vols frame ).

Yes, it sounds like there may be a business opportunity in the works, but due diligence to ensure that there are no IP issues should be done.
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

Quote Originally Posted by teenchy View Post
    Company's been around for a while. I have a similar U of Georgia license plate frame on my DD that I bought at least 10 years ago (and will refrain from comment on the Vols frame ).

Yes, it sounds like there may be a business opportunity in the works, but due diligence to ensure that there are no IP issues should be done.
    A US-based license frame company may have some hesitation in employing the Porsche crest on a frame unless the frame were ordered by a dealer. But going direct to China for a run of zinc frames would be easier and, I suspect, pretty profitable if you sold 3-4 a year for the next 40 years...

:-)
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Chick Iverson plate frame just closed for $127.50, ebay listing :

I have two of them. I won't divulge price...wayyyy too much $$. but I "had" to have it. Gary Emory is a very close friend and he worked there for quite a few years, as did his two brothers, and his father Neil Emory (hot rod legend).

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
    What year did he leave Manhattan beach for Hermosa beach? More to the point, what would a '73 car have had?
    He was located on PCH in Hermosa in '68 at least. I used to live right behind the dealership then.

I think it was on the corner of 1st Street & PCH.
    Used Parts for Sale

Cliff Brown
    415-846-1680