Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Houndstooth seats

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!
    I tested the Scotchguard and it seemed to give the white a dingy grayish color.
    For now I plan to keep the seats covered with the clear plastic they came in.

don

Quote Originally Posted by caproader
    Tom,
    How did you mount your seats? Did you use the sliding silver rails from a set of sofa seats? If so, can you just use the same allen head bolts into the underside of the seats and then put the bottom rails into the car with a set of 6 mm x 1 allen bolts?
    Hi John,

I'll jump in as Stefan may not have seen this post and I have pics of how to install the Nurburgring (# 910 model) into early P-cars.

the pics below show the seat with the supplied sliders. You need to use these as the ones off the std seats wont work. Stefan also supplies a pair of mounting brackets that attach to the existing seat anchorage points on both sides. The holes all match up perfectly (laser cut) and these brackets offer provision for seat belt mounting points.

Since the #910 seat has the slider attachment rails in its subframe , which is narrower than the seat, you need to make up some cross brackets that both support and tilt the seat to suit your personal needs. Typically we use 3/4" between front and rear (rear is lower). In these shots the cross members are aluminum but steel should ideally be used for strength and rigidity.

Some of the other model seats do not require the cross members and attach directly to the mounting holes on the side brackets.

Hope this helps the discussion.

Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Phil Lack
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    Past President: Australian TYP901 Register Inc. # 0002

2.0 '66 911R : sold
    2.0 '68 911S : sold
    2.4 '72 911E coupe original Aubergine
    2.4 '72 911E :sold
    2.4 '72 911T : sold
    3.6 '94 993 :sold
    3.6 '97 993 C2S :sold
    '01 Ferrari 360 sold
    '15 CLA250 Benz
    '12 BMW 1M coupe (OMG!)

Is there any way to adjust the height and angle of the Monte Carlo seat?

don

Don,

here's what we did for a set of Monte carlos in a 67S here in Australia.

We had an alloy wedge machined to give a height variation of 20mm between front and rear. works great and spreads the load evenly along the sliders. we previously used a simple spacer but werent happy with the load distribution. the early pic of the seats installed shows the temporary spacer we used.

Stefan doesnt have these wedges as it was an experiment, but it worked fine. Just have it paint it satin black and it blends in well with the rest of the hardware.

Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Phil Lack
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    Past President: Australian TYP901 Register Inc. # 0002

2.0 '66 911R : sold
    2.0 '68 911S : sold
    2.4 '72 911E coupe original Aubergine
    2.4 '72 911E :sold
    2.4 '72 911T : sold
    3.6 '94 993 :sold
    3.6 '97 993 C2S :sold
    '01 Ferrari 360 sold
    '15 CLA250 Benz
    '12 BMW 1M coupe (OMG!)

Seat mountings

Hi All and thank you Phil for the great pictures.
    We will work here and try to find a supplier for these "wedges" so we can offer the tilting for our American customers.
    The Monte Carlo and the Rallye ST fir directly to our sidebrackets,only for the Nurburgring and the LeMans are the custom crossmembers required.
    We can not provide them as they give each customer the ability by more or less "drop" to tilt and to adjust the height of the seat while you are mounting it into the car.When I have a customer here I can adjust these crossmembers to the personal preferences but it is realy hard to do that over the phone...evrybody has a different preferred seating position.
    But I will help whenever someone can not do it or doesn't get any help.
    And please keep me posted on the posterguards for the houndstooth seats.
    And no this is not the GM stuff,it is not as fluffy woolen more crisp and you can see each yarn,very detailed,not the cheap polyester material.I do not know the original mill or source it was used for-otherwise I would have them made more.....regards Stefan
    regards Stefan GTSclassics
    702 353 7175
    ClassicCarSeats.com

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by dhopkins
    For now I plan to keep the seats covered with the clear plastic they came in.
    Oh, live a little. They're car seats. Which will age and fade. It's called patina. It's a good thing. But then again, plastic covered seats are a great weight-loss plan with all the sweating you'll be doing...
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

When you were a kid, didn't your mother have a sofa or chair she covered in plastic or good china she only took out for company? Well that's the way I feel about my new seats.

don

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by dhopkins
    When you were a kid, didn't your mother have a sofa or chair she covered in plastic or good china she only took out for company? Well that's the way I feel about my new seats.
    No but I have an Aunt Claire who lived with plastic on the furniture, a plastic runner on her carpet, her good china hidden away. And I thought, what's the point? Furniture, carpet, china, and car seats are to be used and enjoyed. They'll fade. They'll stain. They may even break.

But I don't live my life in plastic cover. I'm not a concours guy. I don't believe there is value to taking a tooth brush to a motor vehicle. I don't believe a sterile engine compartment is a contradiction. I drive. I get dirty.

You've spent the money on your seats for comfort but you'd rather be uncomfortable on plastic because of a potential stain? Okey-dokey.

I had a Peter Z (vintageseats.com) RS drivers seat made by Auto's Int'l with perfect German basketweave for my car. I's awesome. And guess what? There are a series of tears forming because of the way I get in and out of my car. Damn. That's what owning a 36 year old sports car is all about. Something else to fix.

See you on the road...
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyI
    I don't believe a sterile engine compartment is a contradiction.
    Sorry. I do believe a sterile engine compartment is a contradiction.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Don and all,
    I don't worry about the seats. Actually I don't worry at all any more. I quit 5 years ago and feel so much the better for it.
    As to drinking wine while I'm driving, shame on you. The PC police would have you in jail. How could you even suggest such a thing. I'm astonished.
    Anyway wine is far too messy in a car. When I'm driving I always drink beer.
    Tom