Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what kind of muffler did i just buy?

what kind of muffler did i just buy?

just took this delivery from UPS which was bought off ebay. seller didn't know what brand or material. i entered the provided parts number stamped on the muffler and it comes up as a non stainless steel $300 dansk.
    the circled red area is the part that i quickly polished with mother's mag polish. the circled green area is the actual material of the muffler. the circled blue area is the protective paint that thus far can easily be removed with steel wool.
    anyway i needed a new muffler and thought i couldn't go wrong for $100 if it turned out to be a reg dansk - it's a donor for something custom.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Hi Bob

The Porsche OE mufflers have "ribs" on the inlet pipes, and a smaller-diameter outlet pipe with some shrink ridges on the inside radius of the pipe.

That's a Dansk you have there. For $100, I think it's a good deal.

Will this be sprouting two more outlets?
    '66 911 #304056
    '71 911E H-Stock Club Racer

thanks john! i figured it was a dansk based on the chrome tip and lack of wrinkles on the inside of the curved pipe. also it is not stainless steel.
    if i have my way, not always the case, i would like to convert this to a triple out. for now it will replace my duel out dansk.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

Hi Bob,
    That triple muffler is going to look great if and when you do it. I want to do the same someday on my green car. I really liked your other one, is there anything wrong with it? and do you want to sell it?
    Thanks Bob!
    Mark
    1969 911S-SOLD but not forgotten.
    1973 RSC

Early S Registry #298
    RGruppe #258

hey mark,
    there is nothing wrong with my sports dansk and it wll go up for sale as soon as i get this one sorted. i am not sure why but 2 excellent mechanics could not get rid of the slight sputtering on de-accleration with the 2.7-SSI-sport dansk. one claimed "not enough back pressure". i am going to experiment with this one this week and hopefully have it converted to a triple out soon.

ps when we gonna see your green machine again?
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

One of the nastiest sounds on earth is a 911 on a downshift where the throttle is cut at around 4,000 rpm. Oh my, what a symphony!

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Bob...

I thought that you had a Liestritz (spell check) that you were sitting on. Is it wrong to cut one of those up to create a triple out with caps? I have a SS Bischoff that I thought about cutting...but could not do it.

I get what you are after...but, you have to know that your end product will be even louder than your current twin out Dansk. A 2.7 is gonna bark loud out of what you are planning to recreate.

Tom. Rip a 2.2 liter, carbed 911T/E engine down from 5K and you get to hear an ever better sound. The howl to a Growl...with some flaming farts in there too.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

oops..

"not enough back pressure"

Put your old single out back on. I will sent you my SS Bishoff single out for tuning if it will help.

If it will help you out Bob, I will box and send straight away. Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn

Tom. Rip a 2.2 liter, carbed 911T/E engine down from 5K and you get to hear an ever better sound. The howl to a Growl...with some flaming farts in there too.

Shawn.
    What he said.

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

I'm running a Bursch header set with Bursch track muffler. That bad boy has almost no back pressure at all on my 2.7L. The popping/farting/backfiring is huge and in my opinion not very desirable. I'll probably go back to what belongs on there soon.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330