Thread: Seatbelt resto ?

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar

Seatbelt resto ?

Does anyone know anyone who might restore seatbelts like these ? (pic used without permission , sorry Mark P - and thanks)The locking clip on one of mine is missing.. Maybe put new belts on the hardware ?

I've been told these belts were used on many types of cars back in the day and Hemmings might have something, but there wasn't anything there.

Thanks;

John
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

PEP is sky high on their prices and I had a lot of trouble getting help fro them (despite their ads).

What you want to do is find out what VW parts were used - often there is no VW symbol on them. If you can get a good VW dealer to help you can save a lot of $$

You could always disassemble them yourself. Take pics and measurements of the stitching, tear the threads and remove the hardware. You could then have all of the metal parts rechromed and take the belts to a dry cleaner. Any good upholstery/sail shop could re-sew them for you from the pics.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh
    You could always disassemble them yourself. Take pics and measurements of the stitching, tear the threads and remove the hardware. You could then have all of the metal parts rechromed and take the belts to a dry cleaner. Any good upholstery/sail shop could re-sew them for you from the pics.
    For safety reasons, I would suggest new belt material, and then have it sewn by someone who understands stitching load factors...For fear of weakening the fabric, I would not suggest dry cleaning. Most upholstery shops don't understand load factors. sail makers might, but different loads involved. Perhaps a parachute expert? Or, better yet, find a seat belt maker willing to share the info on materials used, stitching patterns, etc. There is a science involved here that goes beyond looks...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Yeah Paul, I think new material is the way to go - Mine are clean enough, just 38 years old .
    The parachute angle might be a start - also the VW.

Thanks;

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

You'd have to send them to England, but there is a place in north London that does nothing but restore old belts for classic cars. Haven't used them in a few years but they have been around since the '60's, so presume they are in the same place. They can completely refurbish old belts and hardware from originals, or even from drawings. They have a large stock of NOS hardware and other bits no one else has along with almost any color of webbing used. Usually they can totally replicate an original belt, down to the nylon finish of the webbing. Can also convert static belts into inertia reel types. A simple rewebbing of a static belt used to be 25 pounds. They do nice work, down to the details like hitting loose threads ends with a micro-blowtorch so they don't unravel later.

The place is called Quickfit Safety Belt Service, run by Stuart Quick. The address is Inertia House, Lowther Road, Stanmore, Middx, HA7 1EP. Phone number was 020 8206 0101.
    John Gray

70 old air
    86 middle air
    95 new air

Funny you mention that, John. Parachute companies did make seatbelts. The seatbelts in my '65 Corvette were repop'd by someone "in the business" although the originals were purportedly made by Hamill Mfg. which is long gone.

Here's some reading for those of you with insomnia.

http://www.aorc.org/aboutus.asp

And some litigious reading as well:

http://www.seatbeltlaw.com/the_story.html

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Check out these guys as well. I don't know a thing about them but they make Corvette belts.

www.andoverauto.com

http://www.andoauto.com/Porsche.htm

Here's an interesting line:

http://www.andoauto.com/aviator.htm

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

You've done it again Tom ! Who says insomnia is an illness.

That Andover place should work fine, and it's not very far.
    Too bad that Quick place is in London - that also looks real good.(I do need them fixed "quick" )

You guys are the best;
    John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606