Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Bra - One Piece or Two??

Buying a Bra - One Piece or Two??

I've had enough of the stone chips on Kermit. I counted 13 last weekend. I don't regret driving him, but it seems ridiculous to keep driving on road trips without something to protect that paint.

So, I have heard different things about 1 and 2 piece bras. Colgan supposedly only makes 1 piece bras now, but I have a 2 piece from Pelican that they just found for me. Should I keep that, or should I get a one piece?

I have heard that either way, they both can damage a car if not installed properly or on a dirty car. That the one piece may flap more and cause more damage than the 2 piece. That the 2 piece can cause the trunk to not close properly or to get bent from the extra fabric between. That the 1 piece is a pain because you can't open the trunk without taking it off.

Does anyone have one or both? Can you give me some down to earth recommendations on one versus the other?

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

I want one of these invisible 3M film bras:

http://www.invinca-shield.com/main.htm

They look great. I talked to them and they agreed that with enough interest, they'd start producing them for early 911s.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I know a couple of companies in Chicago that install them on newer Porsches. The issue for me is that they are semi-permanently installed on the car. Don't know how I feel about having a piece of plastic laminate permanently applied.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

I've got a one-piece bra that will not flap. NLA and may be overkill for some.

Anyone interested? $40 + shipping

Sherwood
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dayyyym, looks like something from War of the Worlds has attacked and is eating your car. QUICK, CALL TOM CRUISE.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

What cup size is that?
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Larry,
    A good alternative to the standard Bra set-up is the Mag-Bra
    http://www.magbra.com/

I have one for my SC...works great, easy to take on/off, stores in a flat case in the trunk. No hassles with install, rubbing etc...

D cup the way to go!

Hello: I have used both types of bras on early 911"s. I like the two piece ones because you can just leave the center section on if you want. I have found on the track cars that most of the stone chips are between the headlights. I would also clean the bra often to stop dirt scratchs. One last note on long trips it sure is nice to be able to open the trunk to get your spare shoes. Thanks Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Type911
    Larry,
    A good alternative to the standard Bra set-up is the Mag-Bra
    Thanks for the suggestion. I talked to them once. They said that they won't work on the early cars, since the hood is not flat. They say that it won't lay on the hood correctly, and can't be designed to cover the front edge where the hood turns vertical. But it's a great idea for those later cars.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

I was not aware they dont have a Bra for the early cars. Bummer.

Iam in the process of purchasing a 1970 E....bought it from a member.
    When I get it home, I'll try the mag bra from my SC. Obviously it won't be a perfect fit, but its got to help somewhat.