Thread: Vasek Polak European plates

Vasek Polak European plates

I'd like to get some input as to the value of this set of plates. They are supposely take-off plates (from Belgium, I believe) from the group of 69-73 S-type 911s that VP imported on his own.

They are the same size. Photographic perspective makes them look like they're different. The one in front is in better cosmetic shape than the one in rear.

Thanks,
    Sherwood
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sherwood,

Is there a name of a manufacturer or a number stamped in?

Richard

Richard,
    There are two imprints on each plate (see pics) above and below the second hyphen.

The upper stamp is a side view of some mythical animal w/tail on it's hind legs and holding a sword. Below it is a rectangle with the letters, "R.K.M" stamped inside.

The lower stamped imprint is an oval with the letters, "SHAM" inside.

Does this provide any more clues?

Thanks,
    Sherwood

Do you perhaps have a better shot of the lion (mythical animal) witch is impressed in the plate? This is a very common used figure on old license plates here.
    Blue plates with white letters were used here in The Netherlands until 1978. The letters are slightly different though

My limited knowledge tells me that these are most likely Dutch plates.

GN means Geen Nederlander (Not a Dutchman). I guess it's are old export plates.

I have no clue what they are worth but I guess a lot if they had been in Vasek Polak frames ..

Richard

Here's a tighter shot of the "Lion" imprint.

Richard is spot on ! GN means "geen nederlandse nationaliteit" no Dutch nationality. These plates are still used here on historic vehicles here, we stopped using the blue plates in 1978 from then on they are yellow. De lion is de Dutch royal weapon and the R.K.M stamp is from our department of transport. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ed

Ed, Richard and all,
    Thanks for the information. Unfortunately there's no VP license plate involved.

I guess this might be valuable for the current owner whose car this was attached to.

Sherwood

I thought I'd resurrect this thread after doing a little more homework.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_v...bering_schemes

BN or GN For vehicles whose owner is not liable to taxation such as staff from embassies without diplomatic status, consulates or international organisations such as ESA ('B'uitenlander in 'N'ederland or 'G'een 'N'ederlander meaning Foreigner in Netherlands or Not Dutch respectively)

... and from
    http://www.nummerplaat.com/site/inde...d=21&Itemid=36

"Temporary plates are issued in various blocks to differing categories of users. The code letters BN and GN, followed by, between or following, two pairs of numerals.

These license plates are valid for maximum 12 months.
    The serials are issued in blocks as follows:
    BN/GN 00-01 t/m 59-99"

Temporary foreign European non-residents."

I'm still wondering if I can track down the original/current owner as these were supposedly removed from one of the early Vasek Polak grey market imports after PAG refused to sell directly to him.

Sherwood