Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 71 T, Need Opinions/Advice

71 T, Need Opinions/Advice

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I am new to the board and wanted to get everyone's collective wisdom.

What does everyone think of this car? I spoke to the owner today and she seems to just get in and drive it. We think she is the 3rd owner, some surface rust in the rockers and headlight buckets, unknown if it is structural. Couldn't get a feel for service records and will need carbs rebuilt shortly. Smokes on startup for sure, sounds like some under normal driving. Originally green/tan.

So......

What else should I ask?
    What is it worth based on info so far?
    How does a PPI change the $?

Thanks!

You didn't give a lot of info to go on. I'd suggest, if you're really serious, forking over for the PPI, and going from there. Do remove rose colored glasses, get a realistic idea of what the needed repairs would cost. Then double them!
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Based on the little info:
    1) Run.... run fast

2) GET MORE INFO - PPI etc....

More info:

Repaint, dents in hood and rust in front headlight bucket, but nothing structually supposedly. Motor rebuilt with carbs, standard T specs. Interior looks clean, needs some trim pieces and misc items like wiper motors and window regulator.

I am thinking it's worth PPi'ing if I do the terms first, then PPI passes. What do you think of the approach? Estimated value for a basic driver T?

Thanks!

Keep looking

With no intent to be critical of the sellor,the ad is not well done.One picture and incorrect data with not even a good description.Your description leaves more questions than answers.Move on and keep looking. For 15,000, you are in striking range of fewer headaches in a better car unless we are all missing something.Good luck.
    Member:S Registry #864

While you are running don't look back! Strange way to sell a car on an auction site, too little info, zero feedback for seller etc etc etc.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Let the truth speak Tom....................

-rick

A good mechanical PPI means that car is worth a maximum of two thirds to half the asking price. Run, Forrest, RUN!!! Eric Linden's blue Targa S just sold for $18K (I think; that was asking price) and it was a much better, and much higher pedigreed car. I'll say it again: PASS (unless she comes down to $7500).
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I feel that I owe it to the people who have so wisely guided me on this board to complete the story.

I've been looking for an early car to complement my 3.2 Carrera. I always thought that it was a pure driving experience, relative to my other cars at least. I did get a chance to briefly drive another board member's 68S (yup, have fun trying to figure out whose ) and got to the hard work....convincing the wife that a second 911 is a good idea. Hell, she doesn't even like the first one.......

So, with the hard work in the home front behind me and approval at hand, I started combing the boards for educational tidbits, talking to people, and looking for a car.

I stumbled on this one in my cursory glance on ebay...figured I would email the seller and see what happened. I guessed correctly that nobody else would bother. Fascinating journey thus far. Cliffs notes version, I walked when the seller said not a penny less than $10k.

I did get more info...we think she is the 3rd owner and she bought the car from Paramount Studios. Definitely been painted at least once, she says it was originally green, the guy she put me in touch with who is supposedly her mechanic (no shop, mobile) thought it was brown.

The mobile mechanic was some guy she says she "met at the races." Just a name, no business or anything. He says he went through it completely and rebuilt the motor, new p&c's, etc. Needed wiper motors, a window regulator, some bodywork, etc. I guess that is the TLC.

She mentioned that she knew a lot of people in the SoCal porsche/ferrari community and they claimed $10k, not a penny less. My assesment was that the interior is clean, the body needs help with surface rust, some dents, unknown repaint quality. Mechanicals are daily driver/unknown. About $7500 according to the tech I trust to work on the Carrera.

We went round and round, figured it was worth a $8k gamble and it died there. In retrospect, probably the best thing that could have happened.

Early car acquisition history thus far includes: tried for a T....didn't get it. Tried for an E on the board.....didn't get it. Tried for another T locally....didn't get it. Then this one....didn't get it. I sense a theme.

Moved on to a 911E project. Probably going to spend more $$, but at least I know what is being done to the car.

Is this how you all got started? I feel like a battle scarred veteran already, but I know there is a big schooling ahead of me........

Cheers,

Rockafella

Thumbs up

I was dead lucky, the first car I saw advertised after I decided I had to have a 73 Porsche was a 73E with S spec trim, 85 litre tank etc. It was advertised with a one line ad in our most popular paper and luckily I bought it. It was great except mechanically stuffed which was how it was advertised. I slipped under the guard of some more prominent Porsche people here in Australia. That was in 1995 and now 5 purchases and 2 restorations later I have an RS. Enjoy the ride, I have.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6