Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What early (72-74) 911 would have had 7x15 fuchs?

What early (72-74) 911 would have had 7x15 fuchs?

Hey all,
    I've got three 15x7 fuchs rims PN 911.361.020.01 that are datestamped 6 72, 3 73, and 10 73, and I'd like to know what exactly these are off of. I know that the period "S" came with deep-6s, so could these really be off a Carrera RS or something else? Any ideas?

www.spyderautomobiles.com .au
    Omar,

The RS was originally fitted with 6s & 7s x 15s with an option of 7s & 8s. I have a friend who picked his up as a tourist delivery from the Factory and was offered the 8s for the rear on collection as the delivery dept said everyone was taking the option...he said yes of course and then watched as the staff loaded 2 boxes into his car with his original 6s in them! He said he didn't really want them, but was pressed to take them as the staff said they had so many 6s in stock they didn't know what to do with them (he paid extra only for the 8s ). He still has them somewhere in their boxes and still owns his car. And before anyone asks, no I can't give you any info as he likes to stay "under the wire" - that's his wish.

I think the same went for the 2.7 Carreras in '74 - 6 & 7 with a 7 & 8 option, but I can't really recall (all the cars I remember when new had 7s and 8s here)

Cheers,
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

www.spyderautomobiles.com.au

Lisa,
    I was under the impression that the Touring RS would have had the 6s and 7s while the Lightweight RSs would have had the 7s and 8s, but I digress..

So then would it be safe to assume that at least the first two 7s are off an RS while the third one is probably off a '74S? Are there any other alternatives? I mean what are the odds of having a couple of RS wheels land in my lap all the way out in Lebanon?

Omar,

I'll leave the RS question (lightweight vs touring) to the RS trivia experts...

Not a 74S, but a 74 Carrera - in simple terms a big bumper RS I s'pose. We got the Euro spec cars here, from memory only about 15 made it out here I think. I need to dig up some info, but I am pretty sure they had 6 & 7 with option 7 & 8 x 15. We also had a 2.7S in 74 as well as a std 2.7, both k-jet models. They came with 6s all round, the S with Fuchs (I think) and the std definitely with cookie cutters. The Carrera on the other hand was an MFI RS engined weapon.

Cheers,
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

The '73 and '73 "S" came with FLAT sixes fitted, not deeps...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

The RS Bible says that 8's were an option (meaning on all RS's) starting in the Spring of '73... I've learned that Spring usually means somewhere in March...

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

7's and 8's on the '74 Carrera were an option. 6's and 7's were standard.
    A buddy who won his class ('74 Gulf Blue Carrera Coupe) at the Boston Parade (years ago) had to prove his car came that way to John Paterak who was judging. He had the original bill of sale, sticker and cardex. Otherwise he was going to be docked a tenth or two.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Would someone mind posting a pic of the flat and the deeps? I still get confused over that one.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Paul, that too !

Chuck and Tom - glad my memory isn't failing me . I was a kid, about 8yo when these cars were new, but I could recite every option, model difference etc then - man did my Daddy brainwash me .

Chuck, would your info then mean that the first of the RS series came only with 6" & 7" (no 8" option)? This I can't recall, but then I'm not 8 anymore...

Cheers,
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

Some info on RS's (Uk biased), quite a lot of early RS were retrofitted with 7&8 after delivery. This info came from PCGB's Eoin Sloan. I've just put 7&8 on RS 0358 and it does look quite nice

The 2.7RS was one of the first production cars to be fitted with different sized wheels and tyres, front to rear. At this time, low profile tyres were still in their infancy and the choice of sizes were very limited. The standard configuration was:
    1 Front - 6x15 Fuch wheels with 185/70VR15 tyres
    2 Rear - 7x15 Fuch wheels with 215/60VR15 tyres
    Although different in size, these tyres were of identical diameter and rolling radius.
    The vast majority of RS’s left the factory with Dunlop SP Sports, although Pirelli CN36 were fitted to a small percentage of cars. 7”&8” Fuchs rims, when they were homologated later in 1973, were a popular upgrade and these were the widest rims allowed with the original tyre sizes. They provided a slightly flatter ‘footprint’ a slightly wider track and significantly stiffened the sidewalls to give sharper handling.

Spacesaver Spare
    Obviously, different size wheels and tyres and, for non-UK cars, the larger 85 litre plastic fuel tank, presented a dilemma regarding the spare. This was resolved only by TUV (the German department of Transport) road homologating an innovative, deflated ‘spacesaver’ spare which was legal for sizes including those of the RS. for the two sizes in, with a compressor. The space saver came either as a 5.5x15 steel or 6x15 forged alloy Fuchs type. Generally the former with its compressor was supplied to Tourings (M472) and the latter with a rechargeable air bottle to Sport (M471). UK-spec cars had to comply with the 1922 Fuel Act(!) and retained the standard 65 litre steel fuel tank and fully-inflated spare.
    Nick D - Run Flat

1973 RHD 911 Carrera RS #0358 - Fun Car
    2016 Cayenne Diesel - Tow Car
    2017 Macan S - Better Half's Car

1955 356 Speedster SOLD
    1976 911 2.7 SOLD
    2006 Cayman S SOLD
    2006 Cayenne S SOLD
    2008 Carrera S F77 SOLD
    2011 Cayenne S TOTALLED (T-Boned but kept us safe)
    2015 Macan S SOLD
    2015 GT3 - Track Car
    2016 Cayenne SOLD
    2016 Cayenne GTS TOTALLED (Bloody big deer)

Still looking for 1st Edition Carrera RS book #358.

Life is way too short to drive boring cars.