Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need piece for steeing wheel, 1969 911 S

What version does the 1973.5 use? Am I lucky...?

Honestly, I don't find the wobble bothersome. It is hardly noticeable, and then only when you grab the wheel in your hands and pull/push up and down. Yes, a slight wobble. Big deal. Certainly not worth an $80 bushing.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Quote Originally Posted by RandyWebb
    What version does the 1973.5 use? Am I lucky...?
    Randy,

Sorry to disappoint, but you have the early model with the cup bushing and the very expensive bearing. The bearing "should" last the lfe of the car as it is not unduly stressed. There is a thread on Pelican (I'll look it up tonight if I get a chance) that shows the spring and the cup you need. If you want the factory part, maybe a bone yard can help you out. If not, I think a person at Pelican made their own from a WD-40 can (or maybe a beer can).
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Quote Originally Posted by HarryD
    There is a thread on Pelican (I'll look it up tonight if I get a chance) that shows the spring and the cup you need. If you want the factory part, maybe a bone yard can help you out. If not, I think a person at Pelican made their own from a WD-40 can (or maybe a beer can).
    Harry:

You helped me out with this earlier, so I will post the relevant thread Steering Wheel Bushing

BTW, my issue with the scraping noise and my turn signals not working is resolved. The suggestion that I use emery cloth to round the bottom of the horn contact, and then add dielectric grease worked perfectly. When I pulled the wheel, to do the job, the inside of the steering column housing was filled with "gold" dust. It was scraping the Hell out of my horn ring. Emery clothed it, greased it, and after putting together and a couple of turns to wear off the edges the emery created, I was back to normal.

On the turn signals, they are working again. I understand now how they work, and can't figure out why they weren't working for that time. But that problem is resolved.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Thanks Larry. That's the one I had in mind.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300