Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy Ebay Prices

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

Crazy Ebay Prices

Is there something about Ebay that has sellers thinking they have hit the lotto?
    I am the high bidder on three different early 911 cars on Ebay. My most recent bids are well above the next highest bidder and they have still not hit the reserve. I think I need to stop bidding on Ebay until the prices become more realistic. I have a feeling that these cars have reserves going as high as $49k.

don

Don,

I do not think E Bay is the place to find a car. Right off the bat because of the tremendous exposure the seller has, you lose. The best way to buy a vintage Porsche is to fly under the radar. E Bay makes the car the biggest blip on the screen! Find the cars that have not been exposed to such a huge market. It has worked for me. I have never placed a bid for any car on E Bay. Happy hunting, which is part of the fun.

Best,

Don

"It has worked for me."

So when are you going to tell us how exactly you do it Don! I suspect it involves a fair amount of time and networking for starters.

As for eBay, the word must be out on early cars. I'm not sure I've ever seen so many listed on eBay. Most are junk, but still ....

Quote Originally Posted by dhopkins
    I am the high bidder on three different early 911 cars on Ebay.
    wouldn't that be interesting if you wound up being the winning bidder for all 3 of them (deliberately or accidentally)?
    All the best...

Frank

'64 356 C Coupe - restored signal red driver
    '72 911 T Coupe - 140K mile bahia red driver
    '87 930 Coupe - 31K mile original black beast ***FOR SALE***

My thouhts only, Don the problem is that as long as there a people willing to bid, the sellers who have these cars like you say, think that they have hit the lotto, and if some one does pay 50 K for a T well its an open game, i think its getting out of hand, but then, its supply and demand, and it is Capitalism at its best,like the other post says, best buys are under the radar. God luck any way on your biding, none are mine, i wish, i could be making some $.
    santiago

You never know about these auctions.

Frankly, I've gotten second chance offers on two MC auctions recently where the winner didn't pan out. In fact on one auction I was actually 3rd Banana! I got 2nd chance offers of which I usually am skeptical since if the first guy didn't buy I figure he was a shill bidder or what I was bidding on was a less than honestly described. When the information doesn't flow freely I usually cut and run. It's never failed me yet. As a famous Indian once said; "a good run is better than a bad stand."
    I had one seller write and call me everything but a horse’s ass when I turned him down after the auction where I was the 2nd losing bidder but apparently the only guy asking questions about a motorcycle I KNOW A LOT ABOUT. Of course his wonderful demeanor and the always popular sales line of "fish or cut bait" and the fact he was trying to "sell out of trust" (off-E-bay) made me even more suspicious of his moral fiber and who I was bidding against. He was also using a jump title that was some 15 years old out of another State. Scary thoughts but he "said it was not an issue". "Yea, not until I show it to DMV here in Virginia."
    But what goes round comes round. He had to lower his reserve on the second auction and it came up even shorter than the first go-round.
    What goes around comes around.

Did I mention I dislike E-Bay?

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Tom i do have to agree with you, when they offer the car being a second bidder, beware, ofcourse there are plenty of good guys selling honest cars and items, but if your gut feeling is not to buy, do like the indian. I can not say much about ebay, since i have bought good things, so far so good, but at the prices that the 911 are getting, i just like too wacht and see.
    my opinion,
    santiago

Post Script:

I bought a 1970 911-S that was original back in 1999 for the unheard of sum of $19,500 (I thought it was highway friggin' robbery). Less than 6 months later I sold it for $25,000. That person sold it through Excellence for $32,500 not 6 months after that. It's now floating around the midwest and one of our listees has it. It's a cool car.
    If you think it is getting better I've got bad news. It's not.
    A known 73.5 911-T that I mentioned a few years ago when it was being sold for high teens-low twenties (and was scoffed at) sold last year for considerably more. I won't say how much but the car you are watching is priced in the neighborhood but hasn't gotten there yet.
    Any good early 911 is going to cost you. I don't care if it's an "S", "E" or "T". This was bound to happen and it has; Supply and Demand.
    Many of the most desireable cars are snatched up already so buyers begin to move on the "lesser" models (which, personally, I don't believe any of them are) and cause prices to rise. Again, Econ 101: Supply and Demand.
    For the best of all worlds you might try to line up a 73.5 T because they were one of THE best kept secrets around. They do it all perfectly and without a lot of maintainence issues associated with MFI and carburetors
    Give me a break here because I've owed all 3 and I know what works easiest and best without ANY hassles. If you want a study in simplicity look at a CIS system on paper.
    They are not the fastest cars but they have a lot of LOW DOWN torque and are extremely driveable. Remember, CIS lasted until 1983. It was a great system with very few moving parts. The engine compartment is damn near as naked as the '65-'68 911.

I've had a total of 4 CIS cars (2 early and 2 late SC's) and would have another in a NY minute.

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Curt,

You hit it. It takes time and networking and being there before a car hits the open market like E Bay. Simple stuff really. Unfortunately it works too good. I have too many cars!!

Best,

Don

I'll admit, some of these inflated sale prices have had me thinking a few times about putting my Targa on the market and cashing out! But it's the California real estate market scenario - sure, you can make a killing but then what do you do? I guess you can sell high on eBay and buy another low 'under the radar'. On 2nd thought, I don't own Porsches as investments anyway .....