Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Midwest Early S/RGruppe gathering at Road America

Midwest Early S/RGruppe gathering at Road America

Hey midwest early 911 guys come join us at the Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival at Road America on Sept. 16-18. Here is a link to the event on the RA website.

Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival

Actually if anyone can make it we are starting the fun on Thursday, September 15. Several of us will be driving up to Randy Stenson's new home in Lake Mills, WI on that Thursday to hang out together and check out his new garage and its contents.

On Friday we will be leaving Lake Mills and traveling to Jim V's (SWBS) shop to check out his place also. After this we will be heading to Elkhart Lake via some fun twisty back roads that Jim and Randy have chosen for your driving pleasure. A group of 10 rooms have been reserved at the Americ Inn near Elkhart Lake. About halve of those have been spoken for so far. If you would like to come up please let me know so we know how many rooms will be needed.

On Saturday morning there is the 14th Annual Elkhart Lake Road Race Re-enactment Tour on the historic road course used in the 1950's. Here is a link. It is $10 to sign up for it. The organizer assured me that there would be no foul ups when the green flag is dropped.

Entry form for the Elkart Lake Road Race event

We will plan to do some fun run driving following this Tour to a lunch destination and then head back to the track and park in the old Porsche Park area for vintage race viewing. It is a much more low key event than the BRIC weekend but we expect a number of Porsches to be there so I hope some more of you guys can make it.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Hi Brian,

Are you guys still planning on the Lake Mills/Road America weekend? I have a summer place 2 doors down from Randy and would like to try and meet up with you all Thursday night for dinner. Can't do the Friday thing due to work obligations but would like to meet up with you again Saturday or Sunday at RA. Would offer my place for people to stay Thursday night but we are midway through a total remodel and unless a saw horse sounds good to anyone, will have to give some rain checks for next year. Sounds like a great weekend.

Best,

Mark
    Mark Lindman
    1969 911S
    1967 911 T Hot Rod
    (If Randy ever sells it to me)
    1956 HRG Twin Cam
    1951 212 Drogo Spyder
    Early 911S Member #496

Hi Mark,

Good to hear from you. Randy mentioned that you guys are neighbors now and that you have a really nice early S (among other nice cars ). Really small world sometimes.

Yes the plans are still on to meet at Randy's place on Thursday for some fun in the lake or whatever and then dinner that night . So please plan to join us when you can. I think we have housing covered for that evening so the saw horses won't be needed.

That would be great to meet up again over the weekend at the track. We are staying at the Americ Inn in Plymouth. Make sure to look at the link to the Elkart Lake Race re-inactment tour if you want to try to do that.

I will driving up on Thursday morning with our very good friends from Switzerland, George(K) and his wife. Another friend and his wife from Germany will meet us at Randy's house so brush up on your German or French before next week. Not really, they all speak English very well. See you then.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Arrghhh, I will be in NC on vacation next week.
    Have a good time and take lots of photos!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Dave,

Sure wish you guys were coming up to join us also. Looks like we will be in Dayton for Turkey Day so hope we can get together then.

Mark,

Do you need a hotel room for Friday and Saturday night? If so would you please let Randy know, he has to give the hotel in Plymouth a final count in the morning. Thanks.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Brian,

Will be heading back to Lake Mills Saturday night so no room needed. I am not sure what time I will make it up on Thursday, suspect it will be around 6:00pm, earlier if I can get my schedule under control. Great restaurant in Cambridge, called Serendipity, 15 minutes from Randy's. Would be a good place to meet and have dinner.

Best,

Mark
    Mark Lindman
    1969 911S
    1967 911 T Hot Rod
    1956 HRG Twin Cam
    1951 212 Drogo Spyder
    Early 911S Member #496

Any plan yet for Thursday evening? Need to know where to meet you all.

Best,

Mark
    Mark Lindman
    1969 911S
    1967 911 T Hot Rod
    1956 HRG Twin Cam
    1951 212 Drogo Spyder
    Early 911S Member #496

Hi Mark,

Randy and Barb are planning on having us all for dinner at their house on Thursday evening. I am not sure of the time but we will get that info to you. You must bring the '69S though for us to check out.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Brian,

Talked to Randy at noon. Will see you around 6:00PM tomorrow.

Mark
    Mark Lindman
    1969 911S
    1967 911 T Hot Rod
    1956 HRG Twin Cam
    1951 212 Drogo Spyder
    Early 911S Member #496

Midwest Esses at Road America Images

I'm guessing that lots of images from others will follow however, here's a scant few to illustrate our successful get-together at historic Road America.
    Here we're staged for the start of the 14th Annual Re-enactment of the"Road Course" used prior to the opening of the present facility in 1955:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279