Thread: Porsche announces "Panamera"

All the best...

Frank

'64 356 C Coupe - restored signal red driver
    '72 911 T Coupe - 140K mile bahia red driver
    '87 930 Coupe - 31K mile original black beast ***FOR SALE***

Porsche had been kicking around the idea after building the V8 engines for a small line of Mercedes. I think they were keenly watching sales of that vehicle and now trying to expand their market reach should be interesting to see what it looks like. Maybe a lowered Cayene?
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

I think it is a smart move, they have been losing performance customer sales to the M5 and AMG 55. They are the best run car company right now.

The Panamera Sketch looks promising...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]-71S

"The 1970-to-1971 2.2-liter S with mechanical fuel injection is the absolute top choice. These 2.2 S engines are short-stroke, high-compression powerhouses without substantial emissions-control clutter, and they have a powerband with gobs of high-rpm torque. With their mechanical fuel injection still intact, they make a spine-tingling shriek as they shoot to redline."

Forbes magazine 7/29/03
    Email: http://picasaweb.google.com/sandiego...eat=directlink

Does anyone else out there think the new Panamera looks a bit like the new Mercedes CLS? The one on the right side below is the Mercedes.

Seems like Panamera would have been the perfect name for the 'Cayman'? At least there's some vague connection to the 550 and the Panamericana races. One thing I'll give Porsche credit for is build quality and service. I had a Cayenne S that was one of the first off the assembly line. It was just a great vehicle with very, very few teething problems. Ironically, a water pump went out , but that was about it. Porsche frequently contacted me regarding my satisfaction with the vehcile, etc.

Then I buy a new M3. While the car is a rocket and a blast to drive, it has reached the point where every time I take it out, I wonder what will break next! Always little things, but it's very annoying. Never hear anything from BMW, but they may hear from me before long! Probably won't buy another BMW.

Bottom line: I'd buy a Panamera if I were in the market for a $150K sedan.

Curt, you'd buy anything! In the interest of protecting the guilty, I'll refuse to name the author of the following email...received today. I needed a good laugh, an this gave me one:

PORSCHE WILL BUILD FIFTH MODEL LINE: PORSCHE SEXARAMA

Board Approves Six-Door Sports Coupe for 2010 Launch

Atlanta, July 28, 2005 -- The Supervisory Board and the Board of Management of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, gave their approval today for the development and production of another Porsche model line. To be called Sexarama, the new car will be a premium-class sports coupe with six seats, six doors, and a choice of a front-mounted engine driving the rear wheels or a rear-mounted engine driving the front wheels.

Scheduled to enter the market in 2010, the Sexarama will be the fifth model line from the Stuttgart carmaker following the 911, the Boxster, the Cayenne, and the recently announced Panamera. The new car’s name is derived from an undisclosed source with a sense of humor.

Production of the Sexarama is to be in Hamburg, already known for its sex industry. The final decision will require further extremely detailed talks between the Board of Management of Porsche AG, the Management of Porsche Hamburg GmbH, and fully experienced representatives of the city of Hamburg. Porsche's total investment in the new model line, including development, will be more than Euro 1 billion and will come entirely from the company’s March 2005 profits. Expected sales are at least 20,000 units a year, in Los Angeles alone.

"The Sexarama is a perfect fit for Porsche,” chortled Dr. Wendelin Wiedeking, the President and CEO of Porsche AG. “It has all the typical DNA characteristic of a genuine sports car. In terms of performance, design, and driving dynamics, it meets Porsche's high standards in every respect. Through this sports coupe we are making our customers a highly attractive offer in the top performance segment. And we can make a ton of money."

Porsche will develop and build the Sexarama using the company's own resources. "We will be developing a separate platform for our fifth model line at our new Hamburg R&D center,” said Wiedeking. “There are no plans for a joint venture with another car maker, but to ensure the profitability of this new model line, we will cooperate more closely than so far with selected system suppliers, including many Hamburgers."

Production of the Sexarama in Hamburg would potentially create some 600 new jobs there. In the course of the project, approximately 400 more new jobs will be created at Porsche's original plant in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen, where the engines for the fifth model line will be built, and at the Hamburg Development Center.

Like the 911, the Boxster, the Cayenne, and the Panamera, the Sexarama will bear the "Made in Germany" stamp of quality. Domestic share of the Sexarama’s overall assembled value will be approximately 70 percent.

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), based in Atlanta, Ga., and its subsidiary, Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd., are the exclusive importers of Porsche sports cars and Cayenne sport utility vehicles for the United States and Canada. A wholly owned, indirect subsidiary of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, PCNA employs approximately 300 people who provide Porsche vehicles, parts, service, marketing, and training for its 208 U.S. and Canadian dealers. They, in turn, provide Porsche owners with best-in-class service, which is the goal of this new model.

# # #

You are receiving this transmission from BS Newswire on behalf of the issuer of the information contained in this email.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by porsche911s1971
    Does anyone else out there think the new Panamera looks a bit like the new Mercedes CLS? The one on the right side below is the Mercedes.
    I just passed a Mercedes CLS while driving home. It's almost BMW-grade ugly! The pictures of the Panamera look reasonably attractive.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    I expect there will be some sort of Panamera showcar at the NAIAS (Detroit Auto Show) this January. That official sketch is VERY loose - and I don't know where these digitally cooked images have come from. I feel that Porsche design has improved, but become rather expected... hoping to be pleasantly surprised though.

Funny, I hated the Merc CLS prototype shown at the last auto show, but absolutely love it after seeing on the street.

I've learned that sometimes with a new design, a not so good initial reaction is a good sign in the long run. Although... that queasy feeling the 7-series gave me NEVER went away!

BTW... is official pronunciation PANamera or panAMERA???
    You know how sensitive we Porsche guys are about pronunciation!
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391