Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ups and Downs of EBay

Ups and Downs of EBay

It really seems to be a pig-in-a-poke crapshoot. I bought my early 1966 911 recently on EBay with very positive results. The seller did not know much about the car but was completely honest with what he knew, and I think I got it at a good price. However, I recently purchased a front 69-73 bumper that was advertised as being in good shape. When I received it, the lip that supports the bumper to body seal had been cut off. I don't call that good condition when a good chunk of an item is missing. The seller offered to take it back and refund the sale (but not the expensive shipping), which would have left me out two-way shipping and no product - not good nor satisfactory. So I decided to keep the bumper and gave him neutral feedback. He retaliated with negative feedback saying slow pay and poor communication, which is entirely BS. This is a serious flaw in the EBay feedback process. If someone has hundreds of ONLY positive feedback, I don't believe it, especially with what I know about statistics and moving away from "zero defect mentality".

I'd rather buy and sell here on this board, and even before trying on the Pelican site.

Just wondering about other people's experience I guess, and maybe some venting too.
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!
    If a seller deserves negative feedback it is your duty to future Ebayers to see the seller gets it. One tip, try to wait until the seller has entered feedback for the buyer before entering feedback for them.

don

Don:

The seller still gets a chance to respond to a negative feedback--so he still gets the final last word.
    Lynn's ABCs
    1961 356b Notchback (90+% finished)
    Early 911S Registry #1657
    356 Registry #1350
    1971 911E Sunroof (Sold)

Trick

There is a limit on the time when you can post feedback, I think it's exactly 90 days after end of auction. If you leave it exactly at the end of that time and the seller does not see it, he's snookered.

Hope this helps any people who are afraid to leave negative feedback on ebay.

Cheers
    1971 Porsche 911 T, aka Marsha, sold but never forgotten
    1988 Porsche 911 Carrera, aka River

- how much did the bumper cost?

- and how much would it cost to fix it up so it's nice?

You can also discuss behind the scenes to mutually remove feedback...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I've been pretty lucky over the last few years with car parts and computers / computer equipment. I bought my SC on ebay for a decent price in April, my largest purchase, and have put 12,000 miles on it so far. I guess I'm due a bad deal............

72Targa is correct.
    My son used my ebay account and managed to upset someone with a misunderstanding; buyer left negative feedback and so did my son. Great.

Fortunately, buyer and seller (son) worked out a compromise which resulted in resecinding the neg. feedback. My son is now able to turn 16.

This ploy might help in your case. Give him a call and try to work it out.

Sherwood

... if the seller has been untruthful about you being a late payer, and you can prove it (eg Paypal receipt and/or correspondence) then there's a good change Ebay will remove the negative if you ask them. They did for me.
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

Quote Originally Posted by quattro
    There is a limit on the time when you can post feedback, I think it's exactly 90 days after end of auction. If you leave it exactly at the end of that time and the seller does not see it, he's snookered.
    It doesn't quite work that way. There is no time limit for the seller to respond. While checking out one user's feedback, I found a response by a guy who got a negative that was a full year and a half after the negative was given.