Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jens Letter

Jens Letter

Is that Jens from this board that has the letter published in this week's Autoweek? If so, right on. Chris Bangle has turned BMW's into just about the ugliest cars on the road and that columnist who praised him as an influence is an idiot.

I've been subscribing to AW for almost 30 years, but ever since Leon died the sharpness and attitude they were known for has almost totally gone. Their columnists have been going downhill ever since they fired Satch Carlson after he got arrested in Alaska, but the current bunch they have now are truly pathetic.

P.S. - If you liked the kind of attitude and opinions Autoweek used to be known for, check out autoextremist.com every Wednesday.
    John Gray

70 old air
    86 middle air
    95 new air

I have to agree, I loved reading Satch's column, too bad he couldn't keep his hands off that 18 year old. Autoweek was a great read like C&D used to be. All the good car rags have been neutered like everything else.
    Phil

Thanks John. Yeah, Satch Carlson had balls. I wonder where he is now.

I just googled up this;

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Journa.../2/SatchC.html

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Ironically, I think he writes for Roundel now, the BMWCCA magazine....
    John Gray

70 old air
    86 middle air
    95 new air

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr
    I have to agree, I loved reading Satch's column, too bad he couldn't keep his hands off that 18 year old.
    18 wouldn't have been a problem. That she was 17 was a bit of problem, coupled with his role as her teacher at the time.

Satch has been the Editor in Chief of the BMWCCA Roundel for the last 4 or 5 years now, but hasn't ever really again approached his late '70's/early '80's Autoweek level of genius. I still think of him sometimes when I see a black Saab...

Peter DeLorenzo at Autoextremist doesn't come remotely close to Satch in his prime, IMO. Lots of wiggy attitude and self promotion, but precious little humor or substance once his "aren't I outrageous!?" hyperbole is swept away.

Can anyone scan the letter and post it here?

Bangle is an abomination.

Bangle & Wienie-King should be locked in a room together with a Kia....

Here's the letter,

(signed, a proud owner of a pre-Bangle E46 ..... )

I'm not a fan of the Bangle-BMWs, but the new Z8 looks great in this photo. I've always thought the Z8 looked way too conservative, too much like the original Z4. That said, I haven't seen the rear view yet .....

I am not fond of most of the Bangle creations, but what is interesting is that it has not hurt sales at all. Just goes to show the power of the brand. Some people will buy a vehicle now matter what it looks like as long as it has the right badge on the hood,... image is everything.
    Easy on the Kia slander, I just took a job with them last fall.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Early 911S Reg #544