Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WANTED: Bare Fiberglass Engine Shroud

Clear "RSR" Fan Shrouds - Updating an old post....

I was doing some research on older discussions of "Clear/Bare" Fiberglass fan shrouds and wanted some updated thoughts on what is available out there. Has anyone used any of these lately from vendors cited in the earlier posts (GT, Getty, Damon Josz)? If so, how is the fit, quality, etc.? Are there other quality pieces available today that are well done using correct German weave glass, proper fit, etc. I would appreciate thoughts from anyone who has had some experience (good or bad) with this lately.

I'm building a 2.8 Liter '73 RSR tribute car (Signal Yellow) out of a '72T. I thought correct looking (and fitting) engine glass would be a nice touch.
    Lee Giannone (Eastern PA)
    Early S Registry #808
    1960 356 Super 90 Roadster
    1966 911 2.0L Vintage Racecar
    1972 RSR Tribute
    1975 Privateer RSR (Diego Febles)
    1997 993 C2S Factory Aero
    1984 962-102 (Coca-Cola / Akin)
    1973 RS Carrera #911 360 1018 (2008 Parade Grand Champion) Sold
    1968 911L #11810414 FIA Group 2 Rallye Car (Destroyed in Fire '08)
    1975 RSR #911 560 9114 (Sold)
    1975 RSR #911 560 9122 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by rsr1975
    I was doing some research on older discussions of "Clear/Bare" Fiberglass fan shrouds and wanted some updated thoughts on what is available out there. Has anyone used any of these lately from vendors cited in the earlier posts (GT, Getty, Damon Josz)? If so, how is the fit, quality, etc.? Are there other quality pieces available today that are well done using correct German weave glass, proper fit, etc. I would appreciate thoughts from anyone who has had some experience (good or bad) with this lately.

I'm building a 2.8 Liter '73 RSR tribute car (Signal Yellow) out of a '72T. I thought correct looking (and fitting) engine glass would be a nice touch.
    Man, I thought this thread was dead long ago.

FWIW, I ended up going with a clear/amber shroud from Getty. The finish was good, but the fit sucked (typical fiberglass). I spent about 6-8 hours making it fit perfectly around the breather, stacks and injectors. There was a lot of on and off and on and off to get things just right, then I had to steal the metal air guide from another shroud and rivet it to the Getty piece. The end result looks great, but I'm not sure that it was worth what I went through - after all, it's not like I gained any horsepower or anything.

Next time around I'd probably go with either a)a different vendor or b)a factory MFI shroud.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Smile Black Shroud

Tom, what is an NOS black shroud worth these days (with Porsche parts number tag)? It has some shelf scuffs but it is very, very nice. I need a few parts for a 1969 S I am restoring.
    Tom Scott