Thread: Best oil to put in Porsche???

Best oil to put in Porsche???

How come nobody uses Shell motor oil any more? If you bought a 1972S or 1973S the original sticker on the air cleaner cover had a Shell oil sticker, but I never hear of anyone still using Shell oil in their Porsche, and Shell oil was factory fill. Seems all I ever hear anyone talk about is Mobil 1, Kendall, Castrol, Chevron, etc. I know that Mobil 1 then became factory fill after Shell, but then there is talk about to use a synthetic or regular crude grade, or even the 50/50 blends,but Shell oil is never mention why? Oh and that sticker was on the T and E models also and we do sell that sticker in our boutique section(club plug) for $25.00 it is a repro and looks just like the original, the one that tweeks sells is for a later model car. I'm sure the 1969-71 also was factory filled with Shell oil,I just don't know if it had that sticker on the air cleaner housing also. Shell oil anybody?

I will put my hand up for using Shell oils. www.spyderautomobiles.com.au we have been using Shell for some time now with very good results in road,race,club competition,as well as tarmac rallies! We have used Helix Ultra, Helix Plus, and Sport 50. Helix Ultra 15w50 had a very hard work out with one car in particular. It had been used in a 2.5 (86mm 2.4) for 3 years and spent almost all of that time on the rev limiter! when it was dismantled to do an upgrade we were surprised to find all the bearings were like new! This was proof positive of the value of using a good oil! Sport 50 we use in engines with large clearances that require a full bodied oil. Finally the Helix Plus avery good general purpose semi-synthetic fornormal road to club competition use. I must add though that any fresh engine MUST be run in using a mineral or semi synthetic based oil as it helps the running in process. The other thing is I shy away from the lighter oils as they do tend to promote oil leaks!

Even when these cars were new, the Shell oil available in Europe was formulated differently than the shell X-100 (anybody remember that?) That you could buy at the corner USA gas station. The European oil was supposedly superior to the USA formulation. The same may hold true today?
    I was pretty much a Valvoline user until the synthetics came out. Now I use mobil 1 15-50. But heck, a mechanic I trust once expressed the opinion that the 911 "squirter" engines with 8 main bearings are less fussy about the oil used than a small block Chevrolet V-8. Don't hold me to this, but if memory serves, the 911 engine had the "squirters" standard beginning in the 1971 model year?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

for me it is what I can find in the local auto parts store in dino 20/50 and shell is not available and Kendall is the best available IMO. My porsche wrench uses it also so that and the leaks with synth are why I use it. I have the shell sticker on my 70E
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by pwd72s
    Don't hold me to this, but if memory serves, the 911 engine had the "squirters" standard beginning in the 1971 model year?
    I believe you are correct, 71 was the first year of the squirter motors to assist in cooling the pistons...
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway