Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Porsche shops in Portland Oregon

Looking for Porsche shops in Portland Oregon

Hello All,
    I am going to be in Portland for a few days and was thinking of trying to find a car to do an article on for one of the magazines I write for.
    Any names of shops or people who specialize in building, maintaining or restoring Porsches to a high level?
    Thanks for any suggestions!
    Zachary Mayne
    Zach Mayne
    1969 911T, 1988 924S, 1985 635CSi, some Alfas and a Fiat....

Seriously, who do you write for? If it were a car publication, I'd think you'd already know who the top shops of the area are...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Quote Originally Posted by pwd72s
    Seriously, who do you write for? If it were a car publication, I'd think you'd already know who the top shops of the area are...
    A quick check of Yahoo shows he writes for Bimmer magazine, AND Excellence. Bimmer magazine is BMW's equivalent to Excellence and is a GREAT magazine. I see he also has a Triumph, an Alfa, AND a 911 and is from New Mexico. Why the he11 should he know who the cool Porsche shops in Portland are? Is that something a writer just happens to know? All the cool shops of every marque in every city in the nation?

I have a good friend who writes about Porsche's only and lives in the LA area and I guarantee you he couldn't tell you who the good shops in Portland are, or Chicago or New Mexico or New Zealand!

Maybe someone who lives in Oregon could help the guy out?

Geez pwd, some Metamucil might help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by zmayne
    Hello All,
    I am going to be in Portland for a few days and was thinking of trying to find a car to do an article on for one of the magazines I write for.
    Any names of shops or people who specialize in building, maintaining or restoring Porsches to a high level?
    Thanks for any suggestions!
    Zachary Mayne
    Contact me directly and I might be able to help.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Certainly a tour of the Oregon shops will be appropriate....

Steve will certainly give you a list....

And, if I'm not mistaken one of those that will come highly regarded is Parts Obsolete, owned and operated by Gary Emory and his family. To say that this shop is all encompassing is a gross understatement. Gary has been in the Porsche parts business for over 40 years (started in California), his "outlaw" special 356's are legendary and have been covered numerous times in Excellence. They provide vintage racing support for quite a few cars (20+), and also build and maintain vintage racing P cars of an incredible array of models... 356, 911, 906, and a few "specials". They also currently campaign a GT3 Cup car in the Rolex Grand Am series.

The have a website that will give you a pretty fair background....they are located on 50 acres about an hour southwest of Portland in the wine country.

http://www.partsobsolete.com/

e

Sorry guys, but keep in mind anybody can claim to be anybody on a posting board..(edit) Anybody here willing to help out a friend in Nigeria? It could mean millions to you...I would think a legit automotive writer would have contacts within the industry...for example, EXCELLENCE has featured many Northwest cars, and the shops they came from.
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

True but the writers could be & I guess are, from all over.

I see you in some materials put out by a student magazine. Are you a UNM or No Arizona student?

Anyway, you'll also want to pay close attention to the shop Steve works with - they area combined race organization & shop for 'normal' cars and a car they did was in Excl. before too.

Never fails, ask a simple question on a forum, and invariably someone or several people pop up with some negative remark. For the record I write for Excellence, Bimmer, Forza, Sports Car International, Corvette, Classic Motorsports, etc. I wasn't comfortable dropping names since I'm a freelancer. pwd72s, take a look at the list of contributors in Excellence. Rennsport was the company I was looking for, just couldn't remember the name, so thanks a bunch guys (those who haven't succumbed to irreversible cynicism that is...
    Zach Mayne

My apologies Zachary. But please keep in mind, it was you who asked about Portland area shops without offering much in the way of explanation...If it's being negative to be cautious, I'll accept that.

Apology fully accepted. And you are right, I should have been a little clearer.
    Zach Mayne