Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for Porsche shops in Portland Oregon

I can show you around, you can email me personally at jeffreysmithpdx@comcast.net

Zachary,
    You may know Peter Linsky who has written several articles for Excellence - he is from Portland and has done a pretty good job of cultivating the network here in the NW.

Without question, as already mentioned, Parts Obsolete - Now Emory Motorsports http://www.emorymotorsports.com is the most important vintage oriented shop.

Regarding contemporary Porsche race cars - Jeff Gamroth at Rothsport, Inc. 19870 129Th Tualatin, OR 97062 Contact: (503) 885-9626

and

Greg Fordahl - race engineer for Alex Job Racing AND Brumos. Owns a race prep shop outside of Seattle: http://www.fordahlmotorsports.com

60 356 Roadster Race Car - ex Dick Barbour
    60 356 Roadster Race Car - Emory Outlaw
    63 Porsche Powered Special Race Car
    67 911S Stock
    67 911S Race Car - ARRC '69 & '71, Daytona 24 '75
    Esses Motorsports

Zachary? My copy of EXCELLENCE arrived yesterday. Great article on an early 911 hotrod.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Wow, this harmless post turned into quite a thread... funny too. Maybe YOU guys should be writers! Thanks for all the helpful tips. The greatest irony of all is that I actually left town as soon as I was done with the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX launch I was on, so I didn't get to do anything else. Linksy has done a great job of covering cars in the area as well. Someday I'll cover an R Gruppe car or something in the area though!
    Oh, and PIR is a GREAT facility, you guys must be pretty happy with it. Simple, fast and technical.
    Zach Mayne
    1969 911T, 1988 924S, 1985 635CSi, some Alfas and a Fiat....

Zachary, PIR itself could be quite a story for you. The track is owned by the city of Portland, was born out of a tragedy. During WWII, it was the community of Vanport, housing for people working in the shipyards nearby. There was a sudden levee break, the Columbia river washed in, drowning hundreds. Local enthusiast convinced the City that it would make a great race track. Much of the current course follows what was once the streets of Vanport. There have been takeover attempts. The most recent by Paul Allen (Allan? SP?). He wanted to hold rock concerts in the infield area on weekends usually reserved for local club races, high school drags, etc. Well, he may have $ billions, but he was taught a lesson on local politics. Bob Ames, a retired bank president, and Monte Shelton, a long time enthusiast & recently retired auto dealer, along with all the area's enthusiast clubs lobbied the city council. You might be able to buy a politician, but when he's worried about re election, the money doesn't go so far. Monte would be a good contact for you if interested in the entire story. His son Neil runs the dealership now, (Jags and Rollers) but Monte still dabbles in the classics market, and races at the local level. At age 70+ he recently smoked 'em all, winning overall in the Rose cups. He's a 7 times winner of that event. Well, he did do it in a 962, over howls of protest from other racers, but the SCCA officaldom deemed it rules compliant.
    One of the bits of memrobilia I have here at home is a ticket from the "7th annual" 1967 Rose Cups...general admission price then was two dollars, with discounts offered for children & military.
    Sorry about my earlier post...but we have been burned before on this board, and I didn't know you from Adam...
    Paul
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

A good point - there is a fair amount of source material for you also - a public TV documentary and some printed things, maybe even a book. But it all takes a different slant than racing.

There is a famed bump that sometimes oozes water or oil or something no one dares to figure out on the back side also. There are probably quite a few stories from racers with stiff suspensions for that.