Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much to refinish Fuchs

You don't say how you want your wheels done. You can polish and paint them at home but the origional two step anodize would be tough to do. We charge 215 each for the correct finish and paint. (early 6s are some of the most expensive because of their diffculity) It is up to you but that car would look great with the origional finish. Hope this helps.

thanks for the info
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

I had Al Reed do a set of deep Fuchs for me, painted and anodized. I think it was 110-120 per wheel. They came out perfect! In fact I just had another wheel done but they sent it to Rick.
    Hey Rick lets meet up at the vintage fest and trade wheels?
    As an aside Diane does the center caps which I also had done and they are just beautiful!
    Tom

Al Reeds Phone Number

anyone have al reeds number.

Thanks

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Al Reed ; 714 - 632-3907

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

I have a set of 7's in RSR finish on my car. Harvey Weidman will be getting all my future work.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Hi Harvey,

Here is a photo of our '70E with the deep six wheels you refinished and Michelin XWX tires that you mounted. They look and drive great. Thanks again.

Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

I have had two sets of wheels done by Harvey and have a third set in his shop now. All three sets were rough anodized. I have also seen him fix wheels that I thought couldn't be fixed. I have also owned a set of wheels done by Al Reed. Reeds wheels were very nice, but Harvey's are better. Harvey is an outstanding individual and a good businessman. I firmly believe that the higher price is well worth it. I have never met Al or done business with him, the wheels I had of his were done by the previous owner.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    R Gruppe #257

I got 5 wheels back from Al Reed not long ago. $120/wheel. They took longer than expected. Perhaps in part b/c he found that one 6" was out of true and had to send it to be repaired. I sent him another 6" and will use the repaired wheel as a spare.

Some or all of them have very fine circular arc scratches on the paddles (this is with the stock finish). They can be seen from a couple feet away but only if you and a light source are at a certain angle to the wheels. This doesn't make me want to ship them back down there - if I could drive over I might ask him to polish that out -- so it's a "flaw" at that level.

As someone posted a while ago, he paints into the concavity for the lug nut convex facing - HW does not (or so I'm told). I have not mounted the wheels so no paint chipping.

I did not request hand-painting of the center caps and that wasn't done. I'd seen posts on Pelican a while back that they did it automatically. But if you want that done, ask for it and ask if they charge more - he has raised prices I know at some point in the last couple of years.

The cneter caps seem to have a different finish or tone to them than do the wheels. Maybe it's from the forging process. I've seen that difference on other cars (on display, so it may well be 'stock').

So, I think you pay whatever; wait how long-ever; and get an A- or B+ job vs. an A+ job - based on my current experience with AR and what I hear about HW....

If I were to do it again, I'd probably be sure to send them out in the winter and would send them to HW. But like I said, nothing makes me want to ship them back down 1,000 miles to AR in SoCal.

Those are all the issues I've found in going over the wheels carefully before mounting on the car.

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Harvey;

I sent you a private message a couple days ago, did you get it?

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606