Thread: Best source for 911R perspex rear qtr windows ?

Smile Best source for 911R perspex rear qtr windows ?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a pair of rear quarter vent windows in perspex (plexiglass) with the moulded vents for a 911R project car.

I have seen a couple of manufacturers ads for these but would like some feedback on which are the best quality and fit.

Also would be keen to hear about how best to fit them or what was the original factory method ??

My other dilemma is for the rear window. How easy is it to fit a perspex rear screen to the car and is it mandatory to install the aluminum strips to keep it in place ?

As always, comments and advice are much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Phil Lack
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    Past President: Australian TYP901 Register Inc. # 0002

2.0 '66 911R : sold
    2.0 '68 911S : sold
    2.4 '72 911E coupe original Aubergine
    2.4 '72 911E :sold
    2.4 '72 911T : sold
    3.6 '94 993 :sold
    3.6 '97 993 C2S :sold
    '01 Ferrari 360 sold
    '15 CLA250 Benz
    '12 BMW 1M coupe (OMG!)

I just found this pic of another car which appears to have left the hinges in place when fitting the vented perspex window.
    Phil Lack
    R-Gruppe # 367

'01 Ferrari 360 sold
    '15 CLA250 Benz
    '12 BMW 1M coupe (OMG!)

Phil,

Try Hank at GT Racing...
    http://www.gt-racing.com/catalog/gtr911w.pdf

Cheers mate,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

There's also Spektr Products for the plexi windows. The rear window definitely needs reinforcing when using plastic, but you don't have to use the bars. Dave at TRE has some less intrusive clips that will do the job. See this link.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

I don't know if he left the hinges in or you are just seeing the screws. I don't see the actual hinge, not that it amounts to a hill of beans. There are 3 versions of the window and you will see the options at the place Tom mentioned. I believe the lightest and race car correct is to use the flush mount as you see in both pics (no frame).

The original qtr window mounting on 911Rs was simply glue it in; straight to the metal edge of the opening.

I use the TRE clips on my rear plexi...They work just fine. No need to put monkey bars over the rear plexi

I think (and this is just an opinion) Spektr has the nicer qtr windows - slightly cheaper too (at least they used to be...)

Just some data points to work with...
    Good luck with whatever direction you choose.

cheers
    Thom Kuby

911R rear qtr. window info

Phil,
    I've posted two photos of original 911R rear qtr. windows. The method used to fix the rear side qtr windows, along with the rear window was to glue them into the body with a black glue materal called "sealing cord" made by "Bostik-Solbit" This cord was sold by the meter, and had a storage capacity of 6 weeks. The rear side windows use 1.7 meters, and the rear window used 3.4 meters. The 911R has a windshield made of glass thats 4mm thick, and the doors used fixed plastic wing windows with air vents.
    The silver R dosen't have any glue left around the window, this is R # 20, and was originally painted blue, maybe this is why no glue since repainted?
    The window with the Corsica/Historic decals is from the Tour de France winner, it's R # 5. The inside drip tray is missing, and it has several cracks. stamped on the outside back corner is "RESARTGLAS" below is a wavy line then "D-15" and below that is "51". some aftermarket windows don't have 7 louvers, or the 5mm drain holes that allow water to exit the window from the drip tray inside. The edge of the R window is about 15mm thick, this is the area that goes into the body and holds the sealing cord. The cut outs on the louvers are about 12mm wide and they range from 112mm to 55mm The plastic it about 1.75mm thick. I have seen aftermarket windows that fit into the standard pop out frames, some with no drip tray, and no cut out vents on the louvers.
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

Thanks Ernie, Chuck and others for all the great feedback and suggestions.

I checked out the links and will start shopping for prices. Does anyone know of either of these suppliers will be at Venture/GAF in Spet. and if I could buy them there ??

Ernie, I was thinking of using a Sikaflex product to glue in the windows. I use this stuff on my boat and sticks anything together - for good. Not sure if I need to get so period correct and use the cord you mentioned. I am not that mad about having this car as a perfect replica. Close will be nice.

I think the glued in style is what i want. just need to decide upon the louvre style and drip tray.

From a practicality viewpoint and street driving (rather than racing) do the open louvres really provide sufficient air flow to be worthwhile ? or is it a pain when it rains (or you wash the car ??)
    Phil Lack
    R-Gruppe # 367

'01 Ferrari 360 sold
    '15 CLA250 Benz
    '12 BMW 1M coupe (OMG!)

I bought mine (frameless version with open louvres & drip tray) from Scott @ Spektr (I have a feeling that they supply GT Racing) & managed to negotiate a small discount to offset shipping to the UK.

I haven't installed them permanently yet but did a trial fitting - I think that I'm going to use some stainless steel sheet metal screws around the flange as well as glueing them in although I too would be interested in how others have installed them.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105