Thread: ALMS - Road Atlanta

ALMS - Road Atlanta

I'm heading to Road Atlanta for the ALMS debut of the Porsche LMP2, as well as for the simple fact that I've never been to RA. Deciding where to stay is the issue at hand and I'm wondering if there are any Early S folks from the area who might offer suggestions; Lawenenceville, Buford, Duluth (!?), perhaps north of the track? Neat, clean, safe for the S, and hopefully sorta' out of the way would be good.

The RA recommended Hamptons are filled, so before I do this blind in cyberspace.....any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Hey Jim, good to hear you'll be coming down. Rooms can be tough to get in the area on race weekend. Gainesville is the best spot and not far from the track if you can find something available. I've stayed in Commerce once, just up the road on I-85. There are a few of the regular chain motels and it takes about 30-40 minutes to get to the track. If you want something higher end and are willing to drive a little, the Buckhead area of Atlanta has the usual $$$ hotels like the Ritz and a cool place called Swisshotel. The drive is close to an hour to the track though.

I usually camp Fiday and Saturday nights at the track and might again this year. But if you want to camp, be warned that the shower facilities are not so great. Unless of course you like cold showers.

You might try to check with Curt, I think he will be heading down from Michigan and may have more hotel info.
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Quote Originally Posted by racemor
    Unless of course you like cold showers.
    Can't say that I like 'em, but my Wife sometimes suggests that I need one

I'll give Curt a holler and see what he knows; In the mean time I'll take a look at Gainesville.

Thanks for the info,
    Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

I did this blindly so can't vouch for the place since I've never been there before but I just made reservations at a Hampton Inn in Commerce, GA. It's about 25 miles from the track. We aren't driving down until Friday so won't arrive until late evening.

Is there a Porsche corral of any sort at this race?

I tried the Commerce Hampton (as well as several others) with no luck. One of the Hampton folks hooked me up with Comfort Suites but, at $121 per, I opted to keep searching. A switch to Marriott brands turned up lots of available rooms within 30 miles and since that's half the distance I 'll drive to get to Road America this weekend, I'll take it; plenty of miles to get the 2.0 up to full temp. and just right for one large coffee to cool a bit before downing it. Residence Inn Norcross - appears to be somewhat off the beaten path and plenty far enough from the Interstate to be (hopefully) quiet.

Perhaps we can figure out a place to rendezvous before/after entry to the track. I'm guessing that PCNA will host Porscheplatz at Road Atlanta, just as they are Road America this weekend, so that could be our meet point if we're otherwise scattered at various motels.

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

There is usually a PCA parking area just after the bridge into the infield area. It's a pretty good parking spot if you're not camping. When we camp we usually stay in this general area too. It is on the inside of the track behind the turn 10a/b complex. Easy to get to the pits from there along with the vendor row. If you see my car with a yellow tent next to it, stop by. Otherwise I'll probably be parked in the corral area.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Hey guys, I found info on the Petite LeMans Porsche corral. Click on the Petite LeMans link. Includes a form for ordering discounted tickets. Sounds like there will be a walk through on the new 997 Cup car too.

http://www.imsaracing.net/imsaNS.cfm...carcorrals.htm

I've also seen Friday pace laps listed on the schedule for late in the afternoon. I don't know if you have to be part of this Porscheplatz to do the laps or not.
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Thanks for the tip Tom!

It'll be pretty cool to see a prototype made by "Porsche Engineering" at the behest of PCNA.
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

Bad news!

I'll still be going, but no RS Spyder to watch:

Porsche revealed today (Tuesday) that its RS Spyder prototype, originally scheduled to make its competition debut in the American Le Mans Series’ LMP2 class at the Petit Le Mans round on October 1st, will now undergo further testing before a decision is made whether to enter the new car on the ALMS’s Laguna Seca season finale two weeks later.

"Any completely new racecar requires a considerable amount of testing to acquire performance and durability," said Porsche motorsport director Hartmut Kristen. "By now, our RS Spyder has the speed, but not the stamina to finish a 1,000-mile race like Petit Le Mans [at Road Atlanta].

“We hope, with the additional planned testing by Penske Motorsports, it will be ready to make its test race debut at the four-hour Laguna Seca contest," he added of Porsche’s official return to prototype classes in sports-car racing, to be run by Roger Penske’s race team. Sascha Maassen and Lucas Luhr have been named the new effort’s drivers.

ALMS president Scott Atherton considered Porsche’s decision “disappointing but not completely unexpected.”

"The development of a totally new race car is a daunting task under ideal circumstances, and revisions to test schedules are very common," Atherton said. "Petit Le Mans is one of the most difficult challenges on the ALMS schedule. It is an extremely difficult race for a fully developed car. So for anyone close to the sport, it is understandable that Porsche has revised its plans."
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

ALMS president Scott Atherton considered Porsche’s decision “disappointing but not completely unexpected.”

I agree with the "disappointing" part, but I certainly didn't envision that they might not be ready to 'give it a go' by Atlanta. Considering that I saw the existing cast of characters two weeks ago at road America, and that Road Atlanta is +/- 1000 miles (one way) for me, I guess that I'll take a pass on this round.

BTW - Here's how J.J. Lehto amuses himself before suiting up and heading for the office, about 30 minutes after the photo was snapped. At this point in time the crew is feverishly corner weighing the R8.

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279