Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I did a bad bad thing....

I did a bad bad thing....

After all of the hassle of finding a good set, having them painted and then letting them sit on the shelf until I got up the nerve to drill the holes in my hood, I finally got around to installing my Cibies. Overkill?
    Thoughts and comments welcomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Inside View...

Kind of adds a new look from inside the cockpit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Overkill would be to reinstall your through the grill lights as well. Otherwise IMO, looks good.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Then it would look JUST like Brooke's car...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

It takes some guts to break out the drill, but I think it looks great!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Nice job!...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I like it. A man with BALLS and a drill!

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

So how many times did you measure, re-measure, and re-re-measure the hole locations before pulling the trigger? Looks great to my eyes!

Exclamation

Hi Curt,
    The fact that you would ask leads me to believe that you have done this yourself at least once!
    I started thinking about how I was going to calculate hole location about 4 days ago. Evening of the first day in the garage I had to back off with the drill after doing some quick measurements because everything seemed a little suspect and I didn't want to screw it up by being overconfident. Same evening I started pulling up old threads here and on Pelican to look at where others had mounted theirs and how flush they should be with the headlights. Day 2 went donwstairs with my magic marker and measuring tape intent on remarking my holes and making sure they were straight. At least two hours later and at least 3 lines across the hood, I finally marked the first 3 dots where the holes for the first pod would go. Before firing up the drill I went out to the hardware store and bought a leveller. Waste of money as the hoods are slightly round especially as you move out towards the sides so the leveler cannot rest flat on the hood to give an accurate reading. Later that evening I decided again to re-check the marks that I originally made and then put the drill to the metal (not without first drinking a strong German beer in order to get my courage up). Spent the next 30 minutes looking at the pod to see if it looked right. Fast forward to today - I spent another 2 hours double checking the marks for the holes on the second pod just to make sure there was symmetry. Fired up the drill again and close the deal. Wiring took another 1/2 hour. I actually wired them to my foglight switch rather than my high beams. Depending on how much I end up using them, I will decide whether or not to rewire them to my high beams.
    Thanks for the complement. As with most early Porsche projects, the amount of thought and work which goes into doing things right is seldom appreciated until you have done it yourself - especially when it invloves making swiss cheese out of a 38 y.o. hood!

damn it i thought i was done with my car! now i have to get a set of cibies cause that looks great!
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com