Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1969 911S with T engine, SoCal $12,700

.......... :d :d
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

thanks for the solidarity!... i suffered for all of you.. any news on the car, btw?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know it did sell. My friend was talking to the seller. Probably got what he was asking.
    Early 911S Registry #472
    1968 S - #477
    Mostly Stock

Did a flipper buy it? or some one who will put the correct engine in it, a keeper!

What is with all this flipping B.S.? Who cares anyway?? Maybe someone with an S engine in their garage will put the car right and return it to the market as a proper S. When did American capitalism become a bad thing? Gees!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Rennman
    What is with all this flipping B.S.? Who cares anyway?? Maybe someone with an S engine in their garage will put the car right and return it to the market as a proper S. When did American capitalism become a bad thing? Gees!

Don
    Jeeze! It's always been a bad thing when it comes to objects that enthusiasts care about. Read about Christ tossing the money changers from the temple to get a clue... I am indeed a capitalist, a true right winger. But it all becomes a gray area when the "money changers" enter the temple. I've seen this before...when pure speculators enter a market that was once enthusiast territory. Many of them got carried out feet first, financially speaking. "Flippers", to me, mean those who know little or nothing about what they are flipping. Bubbles break, be it houses or cars. This offered as a word of caution to those who think they can buy today and sell for a huge profit tomorrow. Sometimes the merchandise just sits on the shelf gathering dust. (edit) It's to each individual to decide the category he belongs in.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Quote Originally Posted by pwd72s
    Jeeze! It's always been a bad thing when it comes to objects that enthusiasts care about. Read about Christ tossing the money changers from the temple to get a clue... I am indeed a capitalist, a true right winger. But it all becomes a gray area when the "money changers" enter the temple. I've seen this before...when pure speculators enter a market that was once enthusiast territory. Many of them got carried out feet first, financially speaking. "Flippers", to me, mean those who know little or nothing about what they are flipping. Bubbles break, be it houses or cars. This offered as a word of caution to those who think they can buy today and sell for a huge profit tomorrow. Sometimes the merchandise just sits on the shelf gathering dust. (edit) It's to each individual to decide the category he belongs in.
    Well put, Paul.

Flippers are scum

I hate flippers.

Wink

This flipping word is kind of nebulous...
    If a person who buys something simply to turn it around in a short period of time and sell for a profit is a "flipper", then I have mixed thoughts about it.
    In some ways I support it. Why not see someone you know get rich? Rather than watch some other SOB make the money, why not rather have it be someone you know and like?! Maybe he'll buy you dinner someday? Or better yet, make him the godfather of your kid??!!
    In fact, I don't have any problem if one of the guys on this board has bought a good car locally from someone who doesn't know the true value of it, or has purchased a rare early 911 part cheap at a swap meet, so he can resell it at a decent profit in order to fund restoration of a early 911 Porsche restoration project. Maybe he is going to use the money in order to finish his early 911 project, or to buy another part he really needs in order to finish his/her car.
    During the past 3-4 years I have occassionally bought 2 or 3 extra parts as they came up on EBay because I figured that they were good deals or because I figured I could use another set if I get into a fender bender. Worst case, I could try to resell it at a profit down the road. Case in point: I currently have 2 extra sets of 1965-68 rear taillight assemblies which I have been sitting on for almost a year. I will most likely sell them in order to pay for a nice pair of early window cranks and maybe a fill-up or 2 at the gas station - or a nice pair of SWB hornegrilles. I tend to look at all the $$$ I spend or receive in my dealings with my 911 as an ongoing slush account - separate from my savings, and separate from my other half's involvement.

What I don't particularly like are guys who pretend to be fellow enthusiasts on the Sregistry and Pelican board, but who by occupation are antique sportscar dealers -trying and sometime succeeding in networking within the early Porsche pack to buy cars at the buddy buddy price among the membership, and then turn around to flip those cars to the wider and in most cases higher paying market. In some cases these guys have either deliberately or mistakenly offered these cars for sale as having the original paint, or original engine, only to have some of the more seasoned boardmembers quickly expose this "oversight".
    Maybe it is wiser to look at the flippers in the bigger picture as indirectly doing us a service. If the flippers succeed in pushing up the market, then all the better for us. After 35 years, the wider market is finally realizing the true value of these great sportscars. That means that by default, our cars have not just been an expensive passion, now they have become investments.
    If/when I ever decide or need to sell my car in order to buy something really important (okay how about "necessary" like college tuition for one of my kids, or a vital organ transplant for one of my relatives), at least now by selling my car I will be able to pay for the deductible and/or co-participation on the health insurance policy, and maybe - just maybe - have a decent chance of breaking even on all the $$$ poured into my car. With the leftover $, I could even buy a 67 bug and decal it like herbie...

PS - Anyone looking for a good pair of 65-68 Rear Taillight Assemblies/Lenses?!

..... does anyone know what happened to the car by any chance?