Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB Fiber cover for Trunk "firewall" on '73

WTB Fiber cover for Trunk "firewall" on '73

I have removed the AC from my 73E. The blower in the trunk was positioned so that they cut a hole in the fiber cover that goes over the heating/defroster "stuff."

Since I no longer have the A/C in place, I am looking for an unmolested cover. Does anyone have one? (also the fiber disk that goes over the hole that you can see inside the cutout).

Here's a picture, in case there is any confusion.

TIA

larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Larry,

I am unable to help with the fibreboard, I looked for 2 years for a good one which I finally found on E Bay last year.

By the way don't you have big holes in the front of the car as well where the air con was or is this a different system from what is normally installed?

I do have a question, I see your bonnet (read hood) has two interior lights yet I thought they became only one light for 73 year model cars. Can you throw some light (pardon the pun) onto this for me.

My Targa has its first stone chip so I don't have to worry any more either

Thanks, good luck with the search.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S
    Larry,

I am unable to help with the fibreboard, I looked for 2 years for a good one which I finally found on E Bay last year.

By the way don't you have big holes in the front of the car as well where the air con was or is this a different system from what is normally installed?

I do have a question, I see your bonnet (read hood) has two interior lights yet I thought they became only one light for 73 year model cars. Can you throw some light (pardon the pun) onto this for me.

My Targa has its first stone chip so I don't have to worry any more either

Thanks, good luck with the search.
    Clyde:

So, a two year search?? What do you really call the "thing" that I'm looking for?

And yes, there are holes from the A/C install. There are two holes between the inside of the right rear fender and the engine compartment where the A/C hoses went. And then there is that Humongous hole cut in the inside of the smugglers box into the passenger compartment.

Here's a picture of it. There is a board over it now, but I hope to get a piece of steel or aluminum cut to install in that space, just to make it more "complete."

Regarding the lights. Geez, I dunno. Mike is a stickler for accuracy, and I believe that this is the original hood, but I can't make out the light situation from the restoration pictures. My car was an early 73. It was built in Sept, 72. So there are some things that may be overlap from 72 to 73. I don't know if that helps.

Your first stone chip. Lucky duck. I think that I counted 13 last time. It is time for me to start touching up. Not sorry that I have been driving it, just sorry that I didn't buy my bra sooner.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

covers

Hi,

You can try to restore them using a 2-component glue like Terostat and a piece of thin cardboard. I did this to the hole cover and glued as well my torn blower cover. Just sand it roughly down, and sprayed it with Ralleyblack paint from Glasurit. As new!

Good luck,

Cees

RSexS:

Hmmmm, thanks for the idea. I'll have to consider it. Right now, the covers that have been offered to me for purchase are in MUCH worse condition than the one I currently have. If I can patch the hole, that's great.

This just shows how anal we are. This is a cover that is under the carpeting in my trunk. Who the heck is going to look under the carpeting in my trunk?

But I guess that's the point. We know that it's there. Gotta fix the stuff that's wrong, even if it is hidden. Gotta find a REAL life!!!! (really, I just love the detail.)

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

What about the giant hole in front of the fuel tank???

Porsche description is rear trunk lining but I think fibreboard thingamabob is more appropriate.

The one I bought off E bay was sensational.

The reason I ask about the holes is my RS was one of the few to leave the factory with air con fitted, it has since been removed but there are some major holes where it has been and nothing in the smugglers box all in the floor in front of the fuel tank and a big round hole in the front cross panel. Both are patched but will need proper repair in due course.

Must be different air con systems I guess.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Clyde:

There are a number of different AC systems that were used. There was one installed at the factory that had two condensors, one mounted in the rear on the engine deck lid and another in the front of the car, cut into the area in front of the gas tank.

Then there were the holes cut for the freon hoses through the fender walls into the engine compartment, and the hole cut for the air vent hoses into the passenger compartment from the smugglers box.

I guess that I was lucky in that I didn't have "factory air," I had dealer installed air. From what I have heard, I think that most of the air installed in the US was dealer installed, and those had only one condensor coil (on the deck lid) and the gaping hole in the smugglers box.

Like I said, wish I had been able to make these decisions during the restore, so that I could have had these repaired. Now I need to find someone to do it on a finished car. Much more dangerous!!!

But, Clyde, all those holes cut into an RS? Ouch, how terrible!!!!

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Tell me about it!!!!

I know they are not hard to fix and none of the panels are "RS" specific panels but what a pain. Have done it once before on a 2.4S I owned where I removed the air con.

Someone who shall remain nameless wants me to put the air con back into the RS for originality.

Now I am the original originality nut however I hate the air con with a passion so I have the 85 litre plastic tank ready for when the time is right.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

www.spyderautomobiles.com .au
    Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S
    Now I am the original originality nut...
    Nah...you're just plain nutty! (takes one to know one though... - nut I mean)

Cheers,
    Lisa
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

www.spyderautomobiles.com.au

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

AC holes

Clyde,

I had the same problem with my RS, although the second Italian owner did put an aftermarket AC in it. First thing what I did when I bought the car is got rid of it. All the holes, except one 1" in diameter in the smuggler box, were welded at my Porsche body shop a few years ago. In January we stripped the car for a fresh paint job, fighting all the rust areas and much more. The body has been painted, and while I am slowly reassemble the car, I have filled that last hole as well. Speaking about holes, any idea whats the purpose of this one, on both sides? May be a new thread will be useful.

Cees