Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 911T/E/S or SC ?

Wink 911T/E/S or SC ?

Hi Folks,

Am new to this forum. Am contemplating buying a early 70,s 911. Done a bit of research, seems any 911s is out of my range (£13,000) , alas ! I understand though that that money will buy me many 911T,s and some 911E,s:

1. Ideally think i,d like 911E because more power. Can I afford any off them ? If so, should I go for a left hooker ? ( am English !)
    2. Are all 911T,s underpowered ? will they be any fun, are they chuckable ?
    3. I intend to use as weekend car, don,t have a garage. Is rust a major issue? If so, is it a no go, given lack of garage? In which case, I would look at 1980,s 911 SC. More practical, cheaper?, not as stylish.
    4. Are the targas for any of the above ok, re: leaks/desirability ?

Thanks

Aston!

If you don't have a garage, then a solid SC or Carrera (3.2) coupe is the only way to go. I live in New England, and I've owned early and late 911s. I feel that a WARM and DRY garage is needed if you're going to have an early 911 in this climate.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Parked outdoors in your climate? Definitely a 911SC...hopefully you can find one of the few that came without sunroof, eliminating another weather related trouble spot.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

The S has braggin rights but in the real world if your purposes are for a street car as opposed to track then a T won't feel underpowered at all. It's actually more powerful at low revs where most street driving is done. In a city like London it would be a better fit in my opinion.

As others have said though, you'd be much better off with a fully galvinized car in your situation. That means 76' and up so I wouldn't rule out a midyear car.

Targas don't leak if they are properly maintained but most out there are in need of service and the seals are not cheap. A complete set is about $1000US. If you 6 foot or higher you might want to consider one though because you do get more head room.

Take your time and drive a few different cars. The different years all have their different attributes and short comings.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Quote Originally Posted by aston
    Hi Folks,

Am new to this forum. Am contemplating buying a early 70,s 911. Done a bit of research, seems any 911s is out of my range (£13,000) , alas ! I understand though that that money will buy me many 911T,s and some 911E,s:

1. Ideally think i,d like 911E because more power. Can I afford any off them ? If so, should I go for a left hooker ? ( am English !)
    2. Are all 911T,s underpowered ? will they be any fun, are they chuckable ?
    3. I intend to use as weekend car, don,t have a garage. Is rust a major issue? If so, is it a no go, given lack of garage? In which case, I would look at 1980,s 911 SC. More practical, cheaper?, not as stylish.
    4. Are the targas for any of the above ok, re: leaks/desirability ?

Thanks

Aston!
    you need to ask these questions on here : www.ddk-online.com

This is the UK's early Porsche club
    1973 2.4S
    1993 964 C2
    987 Boxster Spyder

'hot66'
    www.ddk-online.com

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Tom F.
    If you don't have a garage, then a solid SC or Carrera (3.2) coupe is the only way to go. I live in New England, and I've owned early and late 911s. I feel that a WARM and DRY garage is needed if you're going to have an early 911 in this climate.
    thanks, seems early 911,s might be too much money/effort looking after. Maybe when i earn some money I can start to look in that direction. I just want something that i wont have to spend money on restoring/repairs, etc. Hence 911 SC. Not sure though i like the look !

thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by pwd72s
    Parked outdoors in your climate? Definitely a 911SC...hopefully you can find one of the few that came without sunroof, eliminating another weather related trouble spot.
    are they any good to drive ? dont like the whale tale, that some have. Truth be told except for those early 911. I am not a massive fan of the recent ones looks wise. that said my old man who has astons, has taken to the 911 ( GT3, 996 turbo and about to get 996 GT2).

I heard that for around £15k, its the best porsche you can buy ?

thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Bobboloo
    The S has braggin rights but in the real world if your purposes are for a street car as opposed to track then a T won't feel underpowered at all. It's actually more powerful at low revs where most street driving is done. In a city like London it would be a better fit in my opinion.

As others have said though, you'd be much better off with a fully galvinized car in your situation. That means 76' and up so I wouldn't rule out a midyear car.

Targas don't leak if they are properly maintained but most out there are in need of service and the seals are not cheap. A complete set is about $1000US. If you 6 foot or higher you might want to consider one though because you do get more head room.

Take your time and drive a few different cars. The different years all have their different attributes and short comings.
    what a midyear car ? i heard that i should avoid all 2.7,s, except obviously carerra, because they were poor engines ? myth or truth ?

Looks like the 911 SC then ? shame i love the looks of earlier 911s, but not prepared to psend money/time/effort!

thanks

Having no garage makes the decision for you: Buy an SC. They are great cars, are still light and have lots of power without the rust issues of the early cars.

As a side note, I waited 5 years in buying my early 911S specifically because I wanted to wait until I had a garage for it. It would have been doing the car a disservice and would have done my wallet a disservice in possible rust repair to have done it any other way.

Seriously, SCs are great cars and are still affordable! For your money, I bet you could buy a great one. If you really are into the early look, there is a guy here in the states that makes a no-welding required backdate kit for all impact bumper cars. All the looks with none of the rust! Search the Pelican Parts site for more info.

(edit) Try these threads if you are interested in backdating (and don't want to pay Autofarm prices):

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ate+no+welding
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Question

Kenikh, let me get this strait, you can take a 87 carrera and put a long nose 73 to it ?