Thread: 1971 911s

1971 911s

Anyone seen this one? Know anything about it?
    Couldn't post the direct link but use this and go to the "Classifieds" section...it's the first ad: http://www.early911s.com/

Seller says it was a European Model imported in 1981. Any important differences between that and the US model? Also, it was originally that bright "Lime" green in color so it has been repainted. I am always leary of these "repaints". Seller says minor rust. Car has lots of positives and I was going to take a look but these two issues kind of put me off. Did I do the right thing? BB

Not a lot of difference between Euro & USA back in '71...if I recall, perhaps USA MFI pumps were selected more carefully because of the smog rules here at the time. BUT, I'd be carful here...who did the engine rebuild? The "minor" rust? PPI for sure...if your first look keeps you interested.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

You mean the Burgundy one?

No side trim, some chromework is painted black or replaced by black (doorhandles/side window trim/hood grille), mirror looks incorrect too.

If such details are not properly done, then what else is not properly done? If I had my engine rebuilt, then I would definitely provide more info on the rebuilt in the ad (who and what).

On the other hand: it could be a very nice car with only minor issues to solve and with a professionally rebuilt engine.

A nice touch is that the seller says that the car originally came from the factory.....(isn't that the case with all Porsches???)

Conclusion: too little info/detailed pics to say anything more on this car if you ask me.

Message to all and "Badbilly"

Quote Originally Posted by badbilly
    Anyone seen this one? Know anything about it?
    Couldn't post the direct link but use this and go to the "Classifieds" section...it's the first ad: http://www.early911s.com/

Seller says it was a European Model imported in 1981. Any important differences between that and the US model? Also, it was originally that bright "Lime" green in color so it has been repainted. I am always leary of these "repaints". Seller says minor rust. Car has lots of positives and I was going to take a look but these two issues kind of put me off. Did I do the right thing? BB
    Gee Badbilly, or William Smith whichever. You wanted to hop on an immediate flight to come down and buy this car, after hearing the whole story about the car, hold it for me pleeeze, were leaving rite now!! and because I wouldn't take your generic Bank of America Home Equity check and let you drive away on a Sunday you throw me and this car under the bus? You're a 914 kind of guy so stick with those. They're still Porsches remember.

Excuse Meeee...

Dear Mr. "Porsche Dealer,"
    Please excuse me for inquiring about this car for sale. I have some minor, legitimate concerns about it and was merely asking the board members for some answers to my concerns. My issue with method of payment had absolutely NOTHING to do with this. As we discussed on the phone, I am willing to provide you with the requested Certified Cashiers Check. Just kind of hard to do that on a Sunday. I enjoyed discussing this car with you on the phone (I paid for the LD call) and had sent you an immediate e-mail response with my concerns and reasons for not coming to see the car. I just don't see where my original posting was a "diss" to you or the car in any way and if you took it that way, I apologize. I continue to think it is a wonderful car, just not exactly what I am looking for, and wish I was closer to come and actually look at it. You know, if you are not prepared to spend a few minutes with someone on the phone when you have a car for sale, maybe you should consider a different line of business? Good luck with the sale of your car.
    BB

We use this board to inform people of what is incorrect for these early cars. With most of the original chrome trim (or brightwork) now blacked out, it is not an easy task to bring it back to originality.
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

Also, I have a 1970 911S burgundy car, and my color is not like that one.
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

Hey I have a 930 a 69S a 73 RSR replica and a 914/6 GT replica. I'll put that 914 up against anything on the right circuit.
    Phil

I too have had 914,s, i presently have a 916-6, so i kind of recent that, and any way this board and its members gives its good opinions on any car, and for those who are less informed its the best place for some anwers or byest info, since most of the members will tell the truth on what is being sold or bought. My opinion.