Thread: Inner Tubes for '67 911S fuchs

Inner Tubes for '67 911S fuchs

Hi,
    I'm looking for the proper inner tubes to fit the '67 911S fuch wheels. Anyone know where I can buy them?
    thanks,
    chris

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Chris-
    Do you have tires that are intended for use with tubes? Tubes are not necessary on early Fuchs, and my understanding is that it is not OK to use tubes with tires not intended for them.
    -Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Inner Tubes for 4.5 x 15 inch fuchs wheels

I'd forgotten to put the unique size of these wheels. 4/5" x 15" Fuchs. I need the extra thick valve stems, or an inner tube that would work. If'n you know what I need, please let me know. Thanks!

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Chris-
    You need the extra big valve stems. Most older tire shops should have some around, but they usually have to dig for them (be persistent). Also, be sure to find a tire shop that has the kind of machine that mounts the tires without touching the rim. The other kind of machine will ruin tires! You might want to do a search both here and at the Pelican site to hear about all of the pitfalls of tire shops and early Fuchs wheels. It is not the typical job for a tire store.
    -Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Scott,
    On the 4.5 Fuchs mounting tire is pretty easy because the lip is not so deep. When you get into the deep 6 and 7's, that's when you have to stand over the tire guy and make sure he does't **** up your wheel and/or tire because the lip is so much deeper.
    By the way, I have been running tubes in my deep 6's for 3 years now. I have heard from a few sources that it is better to use tubes because the lip on the deep 6's is so deep that when mounting the tires it is not uncommon for the tire beed to get damaged. It can be a few minutes or a few days or months before the tire suddenly fails and with no tubes, you will be riding almost without warning.
    Any truth to this??
    BTW, I will probably switch over to tubeless when the tires get changed out sometime next Spring simply because of the hassle of carrying around 4 extra tubes in my trunk for emergencies. I got my tubes at an old tire shop in Souith Florida that specializes in truck wheels, many of which still use tubes.
    If you go with tubes, make sure you wrap the inner wheel with some tape so that the surface is smooth between the metal and the tube. I had a few flats before figuring out that two of the rim surfaces on my wheels were rough enough to scrape the tube and eventually cut a hole in it.

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Gruen-
    You are right in that my experience is with deep 6's. I heard, however, that tubless tires are not designed to handle the heat generated by tubes, and are as a result unsafe with tubes. As for bead damage, use of the tire machine mentioned above should eliminate that possibility, even on a deep 6. I wtched mine as they were installed, and it seemed like a realatively easy job. I can see how, with the old style machine, bead damage could easily lead to a flat.
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Chris,

Just mounted up some 4.5's with no tubes...no issues. Stem is a TR415?

Eric

Valve stems

Hello: On track cars that have run valve stems on early Fuchs wheels I've seen the stem come loose and fall back into the tire(happens when putting in air). You modify the rim with a shoulder machined on both sides to hold the stem in. It works great. It is not noticeable from the outside.I have some pics of ones that I did years ago for a narrow bodied car and a 356 race cars. Thanks Eric