Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My New e30 M3

Wow, I saw that car for sale over on S14.net...very nice.

I just picked up a white '91 with 130K. A little neglected but no major problems. I'm sorting all the normal issues now.

Like an old 911 you don't mind spending the time and money to put them right, my mechanic says, they "are so worth it."
    Todd
    '71T 3.2 Spec 911 #806
    '69 BMW E9 Coupe

Hey Todd, I don't know if you remember me - I bought my horn grill fog lights from you a few years back. The S14's are very cool, eh?! - a totally different animal from the 911. I'm hoping to get the car out and do some driving this weekend.

Sure Curt, I remember.

They are indeed fun to drive, and you'll get over 5K real soon! The S14 had the most HP/liter of any naturally aspirated engine the years it was sold here, about the same as an early S. I've been driving mine every day, thankfully the cooler weather came right as my AC let go.

I found the website where your car was advertised. You got not only the red interior, but red carpet too!

Here's mine. The car came with cheesy 17's so I put on a set of 16" 740iL wheels.

Todd
    '71T 3.2 Spec 911 #806
    '69 BMW E9 Coupe

That doesn't look too neglected to me! I really think these cars are severely undervalued right now. I mean, how many true 'homologation specials' are out there? You've got the 73 Carrera RS, and then a bunch of really obscure stuff from there on out (i.e. Audi Sport Quattro, Ford RS200 and stuff like that). 5 years from now, I doubt you'll be able to touch one of these things in decent shape for under $35K.

Very nice Curt! The good E30s seem to be harder to find, most of the ones I see around here are pretty rough looking and usually putting out more oil smoke than my 911 motor did, pre-rebuild.

Like the TDI on the list too. I've had my TDI Golf for 2 years now, amazing how cool 48mpg can be.
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Talk about an appreciating car - the TDI's have become near impossible to find.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer
    I doubt you'll be able to touch one of these things in decent shape for under $35K.

I hope you are correct.

Owner of an '88 E30 M3 Alpineweiss/Cardinal Red with 37,000 miles.

I'm sort of an outsider when it comes to BMW's. I don't know that much about them (compared to Porsches) although somehow I've wound up with 2 of them in my garage. From the outside, it seems the relatively cheap prices of these now will eventually cause the really good ones to appreciate in the near future. An average E30 M3 can be had for $12,000 or so. At that price, you've got a lot of younger guys buying these things, modifiying them and generally driving the pi$$ out of them. I think we're at the absolute bottom of the price curve for good ones right now. Look at other 'homologation specials' and what's happened to them (i.e. the original 67/68/69 Z28 Camaro, the '73 Carrera RS, the '70 Boss Mustang, Dodge Superbird, etc.). Those are all from the 70's of course and appeal to guys in their 40's and 50's right now. The M3 generally appeals to a newer generation - guys in their 30's for whom this car was an icon when they were in school. It really started the whole 'ricer' movement in a way. So when these guys have disposable income 10-15 years from now, the M3 is one of the cars they'll be looking for.

No matter, it's just a really neat car to own and drive regardless of the market. It is so drastically different from the early 911. Requires an entirely different driving style. People say that one needs to keep the rev's up on an early 911. Well with the e30, you REALLY need to keep the revs up. In fact, the car is rather dissapointing when driven in 'normal' mode. But start driving it hard and well up into the +5000RPM range and it really comes alive!

nice E30 M3.

I bought a 1998 4 door M3 5 speed, in white w/two tone tan /blk. interior from a friend with 18K orig, miles.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer
    I'll probably just keep it covered and take it out for short drives around town on those perfect days.
    What a waste of a perfectly good car. I expect more from you ...

BTW - The E30 M3s are the only BMW I have ever lusted after. I'll take an E36 or later, but the E30 really moves me.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687