Thread: Travel assistance list

Travel assistance list

Hi Guys.

Coming Friday (9/16) I will fly into Chicago to pick up my - new to me - 1965/911.

After exploring greater Chicago I will head on Wednesday (9/21) to Las Vegas following to CA. Since this is a classic Porsche and I am from out of the country, I would like to make a list of people that I can contact in case needed. For help in respect of a part that unexpectedly fails or in the worst case to store my car for the time being if it seriously breaks down.

My route is that I will try to drive as much of old Route 66 as possible, roughly meaning over the 55 from Chicago to St. Louis (MI), than over 44 to Springfield to Tulsa (OK) to Oklahoma City. From there over the 40 to Amarillo (TX) to Albuquerque (AZ) to Flagstaff (AZ). Than from Kingmann to Vegas and from Vegas I leave 66 for what it's heading on to SJ.

Please contact me if you are willing to help me out in case needed.

Thanks for your attention,

Richard

p.s. if you know of Porsche things to do on Sunday 9/18 near South Bend (IN), please contact me as well.

Richard, you might also make this post here:
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/forum...p?s=&forumid=8
    Many more P-car enthusiasts of various model years, and they generally love to meet with "just passing through" guys.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Thank you for the link.

I try this group first for two reasons:

1. I can not stop too often otherwise I never get to CA
    2. I am pleased if I have a list w/ a few people I can call.

I also would like to add that among the people volunteered to help out if needed, I will give one nice unique Porsche present for their gesture. More information about the present you will get once you have 'signed up'.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Check out this thread.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ead.php?t=7246

You are more than welcome to join us on either Friday night or Saturday for the weekend. The drive from Chicago to Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin is about 2.5 hours depending on traffic. There will be a group of about 6 early 911s ('70E, '71S, '72T, '68S and two '70S cars). If you are interested let me know I will find a room for you.

On Sunday you can join me and another couple as we drive back down to Chicago to my house, which is about 25 miles west of South Bend. I live in LaPorte, Indiana. I am not aware of anything going on in South Bend on Sunday, but on Monday you could drive up to see the Gilmore Museum in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Here is a link.
    http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/

Either way I would be happy to send you my mobile # in case you need assistance while you are in the Chicago area.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Richard,
    Sounds like a great trip. Be sure to document it w/. plenty of photos.
    If you break down in New Mexico I know a great Porsche tech in
    Albuquerque. Think good thoughts, you have the Porsche gods on your side

Good luck & have fun
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

If you were coming North, I'd have signed up...more than one stranger has become a friend by showing up in my driveway.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Sounds like a great trip. Be sure to document it w/. plenty of photos.
    Chris,

I will try to upload the pictures frequent on snapfish. If you PM me your email address I will invite you to my pictures. Of course this applies to other interested parties as well.

Richard

Richard:

I am located in Chicago, so I can't be of much help to you, but I will give you this piece of advice that is the result of my trip to pick up Kermit.

If you have a laptop, bring it. If you need an internet connection, every Hampton Inn has free internet. When we drove from Connecticut through Tennessee to Chicago, Kermit broke down in Fredericksburg, MD. Tom Bridger had given me his phone number (but I'll bet that he regrets it now )and when I was down, I called him.

He posted my call for help on Pelican. In less than 2 hours I had 6 different suggestions of mechanics to use (or not use), and by the next morning, a Pelicanhead came to my hotel and loaned me a new alternator to get me back on the road - he also put the new one in my car. Total downtime - (considering that we were stopping for the night anyway) less than 3 hours.

It is a great community. The internet is a great way of getting assistance. Good luck on your trip. I want to do something similar one of these summers.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC