Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MFI fitment checklist

MFI fitment checklist

I have been putting together a simple spreadsheet listing all of the things I think I need to hand off my MFI for installation. Does anyone see anything I have missed that belongs on this list?

Yes are the things I have, No means I don't and ? means I don't kow if I have them or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

How about..

The insulated hose that goes from the Pump to the Left heat exchanger
    The proper MFI heat exchanger(s)
    Air cleaner assy with priming system (optional,depending on year)
    Bill Conway, Early S Registry member #254
    1970 S, 2.2L Silvermetallic Coupe
    1973 T, 3.2L Black Carrera Targa
    1969 T, 2.4L Silvermetallic Targa

Quote Originally Posted by silverc4s
    The proper MFI heat exchanger(s)
    I'm going to have my SSIs modified for the warm air pipe...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

If by "spray bars" you mean the bars running through the air cleaner housing designed to squirt gas into the top of the stacks for cold start? DON'T DO IT! Extreme fire hazard...go to the '72 or '73 cold start system if you can...or live without a cold start system.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Quote Originally Posted by pwd72s
    If by "spray bars" you mean the bars running through the air cleaner housing designed to squirt gas into the top of the stacks for cold start? DON'T DO IT! Extreme fire hazard...go to the '72 or '73 cold start system if you can...or live without a cold start system.

I have been struggling with this. I want cold start, but the fire hazard bugs me. How much work is it to adapt a '69 system to a later cold start?

Now back to the list...am I missing anything?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Kenikh,
    I do not have the cold start priming system connected on my 70, and I don't miss it. If you are in a warm to temperate climate, don't think you will need it.

Back to parts:
    Oil line from engine to pump w/clamps
    MFI oil line fitting on top of engine
    Bill Conway, Early S Registry member #254
    1970 S, 2.2L Silvermetallic Coupe
    1973 T, 3.2L Black Carrera Targa
    1969 T, 2.4L Silvermetallic Targa

Define cold; Seattle can be very COOL and wet. Then again, since it is garaged, might not be an issue. I am really annoyed by the Webers from cold start, though. No chokes BLOWS. If it is anything like that, I am going to add cold start if it kills me (or burns me )
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by pwd72s

If I don't go with spray bars, is this a reasonable alternative:

From Supertec:

MFI FUEL ENRICHMENT
    Finally, a way to make your early Porsche fuel injected engine run well when it's cold. Easy installation and operates off a simple cable from the drivers seat. Clean, easy and it works!!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Hose to ssi's

Kenik: If you use the Supertec enrichment lever in the photo then you won't need the heat riser hose to the enrichment/ warm up plunger. Also for cold start use a button to opperate the squirters instead of the cold start solinod. You just press the button for a count of 3 then turn the key. It will start every time and less risk of a fire. Also on your check list you need the MFI vent cover,oil pressure banjo screw for pressure line, temp sensors. Thanks Eric

I have the vent cover and temp sensors, but I am not sure about the banjo screw. Where does it go and what does it look like?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389