Thread: Puzzling '67S Air Cleaner Assy Port

Puzzling '67S Air Cleaner Assy Port

Hi folks - My '67 S appears to have an original air cleaner assembly that has a strange 'port' on the bottom, front surface. There is a hole about 2-3 mm in diameter that allows air to short circuit to the clean side of the air filter. The outside of the 'nipple' has no barb, so it doesn't really look like it's intended as a hose connection. What's up with dat?? Any ideas??

Best Regards,
    Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bob Schaefer

‘67 911S Canary/Lemon yellow, sunroof coupe produced w/100L tank. Until determined otherwise, 306943S appears to be 1 of 1, and among the earliest 911’s with a 100L tank. The 911’s initial participation in a competitive event, the 1965 Monte Carlo Rally, was fitted with a 100L tank (#300055). Seeking additional info on earliest 100L tank fitments to 911’s.

‘70 914/6 (2.7l RS spec engine, but searching for 6404915 original)

I always thought that was a moisture drain...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

To test the drain for function, overfill with oil...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I have a hose attached to mine (that allows any moisture or oil to drip harmlessly on the ground) as I previously had an experience with an overfill (oil) situation. Bottom line, if someone stupidly overfills your oil, no hose will allow it to go all over your engine.
    Justin
    67 911S
    Australian TYP901 Register member No.47

Its a moisture (oil overfill ) drain that should have a hose attached. The hose exits into a "resevoir" that fits through the tinware over the engine oil cooler. The resevoir has a porous slip on base (look like an upsidedown brown hood)
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

"Reservoir"

Thanks for the input! I considered the possibility it was a moisture drain, but never stopped to think that a dry sump would purge any oil overfill thru the breather....makes sense.

Anyone have a photo they could post showing the 'reservoir' as Nick Moss calls it? I guess it would be a dumb question to ask about the availability of replacements.....

Best Regards,
    Bob
    Bob Schaefer

‘67 911S Canary/Lemon yellow, sunroof coupe produced w/100L tank. Until determined otherwise, 306943S appears to be 1 of 1, and among the earliest 911’s with a 100L tank. The 911’s initial participation in a competitive event, the 1965 Monte Carlo Rally, was fitted with a 100L tank (#300055). Seeking additional info on earliest 100L tank fitments to 911’s.

‘70 914/6 (2.7l RS spec engine, but searching for 6404915 original)

Puzzling '67S Air Cleaner Assy Port

Hi

As Nick said it goes to a small metal tube that fits through the tinwork, a rubber valve slides on the bottom of the tube, I have just replaced the rubber valve, it’s the same as a VW Beetle breather valve I got mine from the local VW garage. Its also shown on PET with a Porsche part number as is the metal tube.

Regards John
    John #1022

1970 911E 2.2