Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heater connection for MFI from heat exchanger

Heater connection for MFI from heat exchanger

Is this it? Has anyone scabbed on a piece of stainless tubing to an SSI to mimic its functionality? I have a family memeber that is a welder who will do it for free, but I need to mail the exchanger to him, thus he needs some verbal instruction on what to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

This is the port for the MFI heater hose
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

OIC.

Thanks!

BTW, I assume it takes hot fresh air, not exhaust...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I'll see if I can post a pic here...many with MFI have eliminated the original intake (for lack of a better word) snorkle. See the shiny tube leading up to the air intake? It's a "heat riser" if you will, allowing the engine to breath warm air until it gets warmed up...then, a "flapper valve" inside the squarish part closes off the hot air, opens the intake to receive cooler air. This aids in smoother engine running when cold. This is also the main reason I haven't converted to SSI heat exchangers...SSI eliminated this feature from their design.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I think the system you show Paul was not installed until 72.

The only SSIs have all of the features for the earlier MFI systems or at least the features my 70 required.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

You could very well be right on the earlier models...but I don't think SSI makes a model that is a match to the factory exchanger for the 2.4's....
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Very interesting. My PET shows the warm air connection on my '69 heat exchangers. If not connected to the black box on the snorkel, then what?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

If you look the pre 72 cars your air cleaner snorkle will point towards the oil filler neck. There is a second tube at the tip of your snorkle that you attach a hose to. That hose then connects to a pipe in the frame rail inside the engine compartment forward of the oil filler neck. I assume this system performs nearly the same function as the 72 setup on Paul's. Probably not a good a the 72 but is a less bulky setup.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Supa dupa; so I just need to drill a hole, have the stub welded onto it on my SSIs, hook it up as Bob suggested and go?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Do you have the proper snorkle?
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.